[comp.dcom.telecom] Incoming Phone Calls

WBD.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA (William Daul / McDonnell-Douglas / APD-ASD) (06/23/87)

This may end up sounding like a really dumb question but...

If all the lines in a neighborhood are being utilized and someone tries to call
into that area to a phone that is NOT being used what (if anything) will
happen?  Will they get a busy signal?

Thanks,  --Bi//

jack@swlabs.UUCP (06/25/87)

In article <MDC-WBD-BO4Z2@OFFICE-1>, WBD.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA (William Daul / McDonnell-Douglas / APD-ASD) writes:
> If all the lines in a neighborhood are being utilized and someone tries to
> call into that area to a phone that is NOT being used what (if anything) will
> happen?  Will they get a busy signal?

I believe that they will get a re-order tone.  This is a "fast-busy",
which sounds like a busy signal but the cadence is (I think) twice as
fast.  This (or a recording) is the mechanism to indicate that all
circuits are busy and to retry (or "re-order" later).
--
Jack Bonn, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
seismo!uunet!swlabs!jack

ahl@ihlpf.UUCP (06/25/87)

> > If all the lines in a neighborhood are being utilized and someone tries to
> > call into that area to a phone that is NOT being used what (if anything) will
> > happen?  Will they get a busy signal?
>
> I believe that they will get a re-order tone.  This is a "fast-busy",

Most local offices TRY to design their networks so that blocking will
not occur.  A classic example of the above scenario is an area
near a high school and a majority of the students get home at
3:00 and want to call their friends.  A well designed office will
distribute lines from this area throughout the network.

The respondant was correct, though, that if all circuit are used,
reorder tone will result.

Andy
inhp4!ihlpf!ahl

vanam%lll-tis.arpa.ARPA@pttesac.UUCP.UUCP (06/28/87)

In article <MDC-WBD-BO4Z2@OFFICE-1> WBD.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA (William Daul / McDonnell-Douglas / APD-ASD) writes:
>This may end up sounding like a really dumb question but...
>
>If all the lines in a neighborhood are being utilized and someone tries to call
>into that area to a phone that is NOT being used what (if anything) will
>happen?  Will they get a busy signal?

Me and my friend who both work in the phone company and have
experience with ESS happened to read this and before reading
the followups decided that unless there was a problem with
the office (poor load balancing), nothing would happen.  That
is, the incoming call would complete with no problem.

If there were poor load balancing, some of the people in
the neighborhood would start getting no-dial-tone or slow-
dial-tone at times.

On incoming calls to a very busy office with poor load
balancing, callers could get re-order tone (120 ipm busy
tone).
--
Marnix (ain't unix!) A.  van\ Ammers	Work: (415) 545-8334
Home: (707) 644-9781			CEO: MAVANAMMERS:UNIX