[comp.dcom.telecom] sales calls and directory listings

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (07/11/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           07/10/87 17:15:56
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From:    Doug Mosher                 <SPGDCM at UCBCMSA>
 Title:   MVS/Tandem Systems Manager  (415)642-5823
 Office:  Evans 257, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
 Subject: sales calls and directory listings

 To: telecom@buit1.bu.edu

 I just got some interesting info from the sales rep at Pacific Bell when I
 called asking how I could reduce my receipt of sales calls.

 On the one hand, I could only choose between being "listed" (so my friends and
 apparently businesses can all find me) or "unlisted" (so neither can, and
 paying an extra fee). Also I cannot order a directory line such as "NO SALES
 CALLS".

 HOWEVER, another very nice option exists. There is another directory, the
 "reverse directory", which is ordered by physical address. This is used by
 almost all sales callers, since they choose neighborhoods, based in good part
 on demographics (certain neighborhoods or streets tend to be rich/poor/full of
 homeowners/people living in salt air and needing window repairs/etc/etc).
 Normally if you are "listed" you're listed in both, and "unlisted", unlisted
 in both. BUT: It is FREE to be de-listed in the reverse directory only, and
 still appear in the regular one. Comes out every 6 months so it takes awhile
 for you to see the effect of delisting; I imagine some organizations use old
 ones so it might fade over an even longer period.

 The salesperson believed that 9 out of 10 sales callers use the reverse.

 In published brochures I now remember the telco claiming that the reverse
 directory is used also by police, fire, etc. Hmmmm, betcha I'll still show on
 the 911 screens even though I de-listed.

 Thanks, Doug
      sales calls and directory listings