[comp.dcom.telecom] Why can't the world call 800 numbers?

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/21/87)

[Since the Arpanet side seems to be losing, let's do it ourselves over
here on the Usenet.  Be sure to include an Approved: header or your message
will get emailed to the dead moderator. -- John]

Andy Tanenbaum asked a good question that Telecom readers might be able
to answer:

"The number is 1-800-223-1360.

From outside the US/Canada, the number is 201-592-2000.  It drives me up the
wall that from my phone I can call every telephone in the world directly except
800 numbers in the U.S.  Since many companies publish only their 800 numbers,
it means I can't call them at all.  Was it really beyond AT'Ts capability to
arrange for 800 numbers to be free in the US/Canada, but billed at normal
rates when called from abroad, but at least make them work?

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)"
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu
My name's in the header where it belongs.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (08/21/87)

In article <2801@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>From outside the US/Canada, the number is 201-592-2000.  It drives me up the
>wall that from my phone I can call every telephone in the world directly except
>800 numbers in the U.S.  Since many companies publish only their 800 numbers,
>it means I can't call them at all.  Was it really beyond AT'Ts capability to
>arrange for 800 numbers to be free in the US/Canada, but billed at normal
>rates when called from abroad, but at least make them work?

Actually AT&T at least does have 800 numbers in Canada, that usually connect
to the same place. Unfortunately there are two problems:

	1. They are different
	2. They don't advertise them as effectively as the US ones

For example to order my copies of the SYSVID all I had was the 800 number in
the US. Through a bit of phone tag with various 555-1212 directory services
in that part of the US I came up with a generic number for AT&T. They were
able to give me the phone number to call to order. When I called them they
said "oh, you don't have our 800 number in Canda?". They gave it to me, I
called back on that.

Interesting note, newer versions of the SYSVID now include the Canadian 800
number as well.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

jhc@mtune.att.COM (Jonathan Clark) (08/22/87)

In article <2801@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>[Since the Arpanet side seems to be losing, let's do it ourselves over
>here on the Usenet.  Be sure to include an Approved: header or your message
>will get emailed to the dead moderator. -- John]
>
>From outside the US/Canada, the number is 201-592-2000.  It drives me up the
>wall that from my phone I can call every telephone in the world directly except
>800 numbers in the U.S.  Since many companies publish only their 800 numbers,
>it means I can't call them at all.  Was it really beyond AT'Ts capability to
>arrange for 800 numbers to be free in the US/Canada, but billed at normal
>rates when called from abroad, but at least make them work?

Well, I'm not in the POTS bit of AT&T, but large pieces of the world can
call 800 numbers. AT&T periodically puts out bulletins about 'International
800 service is now available to...'. The trouble is that having an
internationally-diallable 800 number costs the person paying for the number
more money upfront plus more money per call (I think), and typically they
decide that this isn't worth it. It's the same deal (fundamentally) as
having in-state only 800 numbers.

I believe that it also costs less to have an *out-of-state* only 800 number,
(which is why you see 'call 800-123 4567, in Nebraska call 987 6543')
but don't quote me on that. I have no idea of the exact tariffs involved.
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

mikel@flmis06.ATT.COM (Mikel Manitius) (08/24/87)

> I believe that it also costs less to have an *out-of-state* only 800 number,
> (which is why you see 'call 800-123 4567, in Nebraska call 987 6543')
> but don't quote me on that. I have no idea of the exact tariffs involved.
>
> Jonathan Clark

There are several BANDS for WATS service, I'm no expert on the system,
but I beleive WATS band 1 is in-state only, band 5 is the entire US not
including Alaska and Hawaii, 6 includes Alaska and Hawaii, and now there
may be higher bands for international.

Each customer choses what type of service they desire when the service
is installed.

There is also something called "Enhanced 800 Service", where the call
can be routed to the nearest office, based on the caller's area code.
This enables an organization to advertize one single 800 number, but
have calls from the east coast routed to New Jersey, calls from the mid
west to Chicago, and West to LA, for example...
--
				Mikel Manitius @ AT&T Network Operations
				mikel@codas.att.com.uucp | attmail!mikel