[comp.dcom.telecom] Comp.dcom.telecom submission

stevem@fai.UUCP (09/09/87)

I tried to send the following to the originator of the request by mail,
but it bounced back to me:

Subject: Re: Choice of long distance carrier

In article <8708212245.AA09660@bu-it.bu.edu> you write:

>I would appreciate advice/recommendations on my upcoming choice
>of long distance carrier.  I would also appreciate a copy
>(or pointer) to the last survey of long distance carrier
>rates in telecom-digest.  (I've been offnet for several
>months.)  My calling pattern is mostly from home (area code 301)
>to California (area codes 805, 707) and to West Germany.
>Calling is almost entirely during non-peak rate periods.
>
>Oh yes, home is Baltimore, MD.  With respect to Germany, I
>would appreciate information on who supplies service
>(anyone other than AT&T yet?) and differencies in hours
>for minimum rate.
>
>Also the local phone company (C&P) charges extra (of course)
>for tone service.  Does anyone know if they're actually
>equipped to NOT provide it if you don't order it?

I tried Sprint first (about 4 years ago) at home.  I constantly ran into
recordings asking me to call back later since all circuits were busy (or even
worse just a network busy signal).  After that, I decided to try MCI.  I found
that most of the time my connections were very poor quality (either I couldn't
hear the other party or vice versa).  I then gave up on the CHEAP carriers and
went back to AT&T because I want to be able to place a call and to be able to
hear the other party.

Just recently, I started having problems completing calls at work -- Lo and
behold, I found out that the company had just switched to Sprint for long
distance service.  When I complained to our telecom department, they told me
to dial 10288 and the number I was calling (this places the call over AT&T).

My suggestion would be to go with AT&T -- if the two largest competitors of
AT&T are in this bad of shape, what can you expect from the small ones?

Incidentally, I don't find AT&T's rates that bad.  I also subscribe to their
"Reach Out America" plan which is a real good deal if you make your calls on
the weekend.

---

Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.

---