[comp.dcom.telecom] Listed Unlisted Number

Gloger.ES@XEROX.COM (Paul Gloger) (09/26/87)

I would like to have a home phone number unlisted, at least effectively
so.  I seem to have the choice of either paying my local phone company
(Pac Bell) to unlist it; or having it listed under a made-up name with
an unlisted address, which the phone company will do for free.

The made-up-name ploy is cheaper than unlisting, and seems just as good
in every other respect.  Is there any reason I shouldn't do it?

Thanks,
Paul Gloger <Gloger.ES@Xerox.com>

kaufman@SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Kaufman) (09/27/87)

In article <870925-224748-17534@Xerox> Paul Gloger <Gloger.ES@Xerox.COM> writes:
>I would like to have a home phone number unlisted, at least effectively
>so.  I seem to have the choice of either paying my local phone company
>(Pac Bell) to unlist it; or having it listed under a made-up name with
>an unlisted address, which the phone company will do for free.

There is a third option, which the phone company never tells you about.
Ask for "NO MAIN LIST".  This is free.  The phone number is not "UNlisted",
but does not appear in the directory.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Shasta.stanford.edu)

kdavis@lamc.UUCP (Nero Wolfe) (09/28/87)

In article <870925-224748-17534@Xerox> Paul Gloger <Gloger.ES@Xerox.COM> writes:
>I would like to have a home phone number unlisted, at least effectively
>
>The made-up-name ploy is cheaper than unlisting, and seems just as good
>in every other respect.  Is there any reason I shouldn't do it?

I've had my phone listed under a single surname with no address
for about seven years (as you say, it is cheaper than having the
phone co. unlist it) and I have had no trouble whatsoever.  In
fact, people that want to get hold of me just remember that I am
the only "Bill" in the San Francisco phone book.  %-)

--
 Ken Davis - Letterman Army Medical Center - San Francisco, CA
  {ptsfa,well,hoptoad}!lamc!kdavis  kdavis@optimis-pent.arpa

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (09/28/87)

In article <870925-224748-17534@Xerox>, Gloger.ES@XEROX.COM (Paul Gloger) writes:
> I would like to have a home phone number unlisted, at least effectively
> so.  I seem to have the choice of either paying my local phone company
> (Pac Bell) to unlist it; or having it listed under a made-up name with
> an unlisted address, which the phone company will do for free.
>
> The made-up-name ploy is cheaper than unlisting, and seems just as good
> in every other respect.  Is there any reason I shouldn't do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Gloger <Gloger.ES@Xerox.com>

Yes, the clowns that just go through the phone book and call to sell you
toothbrushes will still get your number.

Cheers,
Brian