jsol@BU-IT.BU.EDU (10/01/87)

   Date: 30 Sep 87 01:53:46 EDT
   From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>

   If the number doesn't appear in the directory, what's the difference between
   that and having it "unlisted"?

   _H*
   -------

Easy, you can get the number from your local Directory Assistance operator.

KFL@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") (10/01/87)

> If the number doesn't appear in the directory, what's the difference between
> that and having it "unlisted"?

They will still give it out at Directory Assistance.
								...Keith

mar@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Mark A. Rosenstein) (10/01/87)

In article <12338658193.15.AWALKER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU> AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (*Hobbit*) writes:
>If the number doesn't appear in the directory, what's the difference between
>that and having it "unlisted"?
>
>_H*
>-------

There are three directories: the printed phonebook, the one that
information operators look things up in, and the complete listing.
Non-published (as opposed to non-listed) means that the number isn't
in the printed phonebook, but information will give someone the
number.  This avoids calls from people who scan phonebooks, but still
allows someone who knows your name to get your number.  There are a
lot of numbers that information has that are not in the published
phonebook.  For example, in many places the phone company refuses to
publish the numbers for lesbian and gay organizations, although the
numbers are available through information.
					-Mark

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (10/02/87)

In article <12338658193.15.AWALKER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU> AWalker@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (*Hobbit*) writes:
|If the number doesn't appear in the directory, what's the difference between
|that and having it "unlisted"?

If your number is unlisted it is not available from directory
assistance. If it is "no main list" is isn't in the phone book, but can
be gotten by anyone on request. That's what my business office thinks,
anyway.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

ron@ccd700.UUCP (ron) (10/12/87)

In article <8709302323.AA20831@buita.bu.edu>, jsol@BU-IT.BU.EDU.UUCP writes:
>>    If the number doesn't appear in the directory, what's the difference between
>>    that and having it "unlisted"?
> Easy, you can get the number from your local Directory Assistance operator.

	some of these "bell" jerks think that the "no main list"
function is what we want when we mean "UNLISTED".  for a fact I
have obtained these numbers by stating the fact of a serious
situation.  This is not to say EMERGENCY!  some of the DAMM FOOL
 operators will put through a call just because some ass..... will
says it's important!.

	my sugestion is that ALL calls should be traced and the origin
be available to the CALLEE at NO CHARGE!   that will stop a lot of
crap going on today with jerks and the dammed computer FONE phreaks.

ronald r. tribble
...mibte!ccd700!ron

I love FIRE... flame me on this opinion all you want !!!!!!!!!!!