[comp.dcom.telecom] New Service...

arnie@tikal.teltone.COM (Arnold Koster) (10/20/87)

In article <550@swlabs.UUCP> jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) writes:

>In article <1073@gumby.wisc.edu>, g-inners@gumby.UUCP (Michael Inners) writes:
>> There is precedent for such a rule in that devices designed to record phone
>> conversations are required to emit a 'beep' tone to alert the other party.
>
>I this the case?  I thought it was only necessary when there was a chance
>that neither party was knowledgeable about the recording device.  If either
>party (me, if I'm operating the machine) knows it is operating, I thought
>that no tone was necessary.

From the Seattle Telephone Directory :

	RECORDED CALLS REQUIRE A BEEP TONE

	When you hear a beep tone at about 15-second intervals during
	a phone conversation, it indicates that the conversation is
	being recorded.
	In the State of Washington it is unlawful for any person to
	record any telephone conversation without first obtaining the
	consent of ALL the persons engaged in the conversation.

In a somewhat related area:

	UNLAWFUL WIRETAPPING IS SUBJECT TO PROSECUTION

	It is a crime under Federal law for any person, including a
	telephone subscriber, to wiretap or otherwise intercept a
	telephone call, unless that person has first obtained the
	consent of one of the parties actually participating in the
	call. Under Washington State law, however, the consent of ALL
	the parties participating in the call must first be obtained
	before a telephone conversation can be overheard by a person
	who is not a party to the call.

It then continues with the exceptions for law enforcment agencies, and
discusses the imprisonment time and fines that can be used for
penalties.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS:

	Check with your own local phone company about the requirements
	in your area, it varies from place to place.

Arnie Koster
arnie@tikal.Teltone.COM