[comp.dcom.telecom] Key Phones

Feinberg@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Neal Feinberg) (10/16/87)

We have an ancient 5 line key phone system at our house.  It consists of
three rotary phones (each with 5 big push-button line selectors plus
hold) and a box in the basement which makes mechanical-sounding noises.
Currently it costs us a lot of money to rent these phones and the box in
the basement from AT&T.  It would also cost a lot of money to buy the
system from AT&T.  Clearly they don't want to support this klunky
equipment anymore.  Rat Snack claims to sell key phones for $150, but I
don't really trust them to be of suitable quality.  Questions:

1) Who sells reasonable quality key phones at a good price?

2) What does the box in the basement do? Do modern key phones need this
   box? If so, where can we buy one?

kwe@BU-CS.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (10/23/87)

In article <19871016163331.9.FEINBERG@BLACKSTONE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM> Feinberg@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM (Neal Feinberg) writes:
>We have an ancient 5 line key phone system at our house.  It consists of
>three rotary phones (each with 5 big push-button line selectors plus
>hold) and a box in the basement which makes mechanical-sounding noises.

This system is called a 1A2 key system.  It is entirely mechanical and
expensive to maintain.  These mechanical key sets are replaced with
electronic key systems with PBX-like features and simpler wiring.  The
1A2 key sets use 25 pair wire and elec key use 4 to 8 pair wire.  Of
course, your old wire can be reused with adaptors.  Elec key systems
need AC power and don't work when the power goes out.

>1) Who sells reasonable quality key phones at a good price?

You can buy an elec key system from your phone company.  They probably
sell Merlin from AT&T.  New England Tel also sells TIE DataStar, but
this is for larger installations.  Buy from Radio Shack if you can get
a good warranty and service contract.

>2) What does the box in the basement do? Do modern key phones need this
>   box? If so, where can we buy one?

Elec key systems use a box in the basement but it is new, smaller, and
lighter than the 1A2.  The old 1A2 box makes a good boat anchor.

Talk to your phone company first, then Radio Shack.  Then look at all
the ads in the Wall Street Journal.  Seems that WSJ is the place to
sell company execs on the phone system for business.  I don't know
what professional mag to read to pick up info, but I think there are a
lot of elec key systems in the 10-20 line range.  Don't buy from any
store that also sells housewares.  :-)

Kent England, Boston University
     Kent W. England                      |       Boston University
     Network & Systems Engineering Group  |       Information Technology
     kwe@bu-it.bu.edu        internet     |       111 Cummington Street
     itkwe@bostonu           BITnet       |       Boston, MA      02215
     harvard!bu-cs!kwe       UUCP         |       (617) 353-2780