[comp.dcom.telecom] England to United States collect: on payphones!

djc@chinet.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) (10/01/87)

A friend of mine told me an interesting story.  Several students from the
university which he attends took a trip to England and got homesick.  So they
called their home campus from an England payphone collect, to a payphone
in the dormitory.  The U.S. party gladly "accepted the charges" from the
British operator, and they talked for two hours.

Suddenly, the connection was broken, and a U.S. operator
got on the line and asked "Who is this?  Is this your personal phone? [Yes]
Who is going to pay for this call? [I am, of course]. Well what is your
name?  [CLICK]".  The college student got cold feet.

Why was this possible in the first place?  How did the local phone company
finally after two hours figure out what was going on?  Who is really going to
pay for that call?
--
					...!ihnp4!chinet!qpsn!david
					David Carpenter

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (10/21/87)

In article <1658@chinet.UUCP>, djc@chinet.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) writes:

> A friend of mine told me an interesting story.  Several students...
> ..Who is really going to pay for that call?

You are, I am, and the rest of the public who pays for their
telephone service is, unless the toll carrier who was defrauded can
determine who done it!
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

roy%phri@UUNET.UU.NET (Roy Smith) (10/23/87)

	When I was in high school, a friend of mine and I tried placing
collect calls to each other from (adjoining) phone booths just to see what
would happen.  What happened was I dialed 0-xxx-xxxx, the operator came on,
I said "I'm calling collect", and then the line went dead.

	I assume that operators are on standing orders to just ignore such
obvious prank calls and cut off the caller without bothering to argue.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

konstan@ERNIE.BERKELEY.EDU (Joe Konstan) (10/24/87)

I remember another trick from my high school days, in NYC, which was since
fixed.  Back then, the pay phones (which were still a dime) were adapted to
signal that money was dropped in using tones (2 for a dime, 5 for a quarter).

As some people discovered, the system allowed two very easy ways to make "free"
calls:

1)  Dial long distance (if you want a local call, dial 1-212-telno)_ and wait
    for the message asking for money.

2a) Pick up the next phone, put it's receiver to the voice piece of the first,
    and deposit the money; then hang up the second phone and retrieve your cash.

2b) Record $XXX worth of "quarter droppings" on tape (this was when micro-
    cassettes just became popular and cheap) and use that to "pay"

New York Tel wised up after about six months of this being popular and fixed the
phones (and probably fixed the basic flaw for future ones).

--
Joe Konstan
konstan@ernie.Berkeley.edu