[comp.dcom.telecom] Spurious "}" on 1200..

jhh@ihlpl.UUCP (Haller) (10/23/87)

The last time someone fought the battle of the "}", it was discovered
that there was a synchronization problem in digital facilities
somewhere between the two end points.  The 212 modem is particularly
sensitive to phase shifts, causing bit errors.  Normal voice
communications are not sensitive to these shifts, nor are the typical
tests run by telephone personnel.  From the description of the DMS-100
problem, I would guess that the line interface circuit was missing or
inserting extra samples.  It is likely that synchronization problems
will get worse rather than better, based on divestiture.  Most of the
following information is based on the publication Notes on the
Network, 1980, AT&T, select code 500-029, Section 12.

As digital trunks started to be deployed in the network, the need for
a master clock to sychronize these systems was evident.  AT&T built,
and maintains a reference frequency which includes three cesium-beam
frequency standards, accurate to within one part in 10^11.  This clock
is distributed in a strict hierarchy.  This reference frequency is the
strata 1 clock.  It distributes this clock to strata 2 offices (for
example, 4ESS (TM)).  A 4ESS has a clock with a drift (in the absence
of the strata 1 clock) of less than 1 part in 10^10 per day.  During
normal operations, the slip rate is zero (temperature fluctuations may
cause occasional slips).  During problems with connections to the
strata 1 clock, the slip rate should be less than 1 in 10 hours.
During a failure at the extreme design limit of sync problems, the
number of slips should not exceed 255 per day, or about one "}" per 6
minutes.  Note that this is considered a failure condition, not
typical operating conditions.

Now for the fun part.  Where do telephone companies, such as MCI and
Illinois Bell get their reference frequencies?  Naturally, MCI does
not wish to get their timing from AT&T.  Illinois Bell typically would
get its timing from its digital trunks to AT&T.  The problem comes in
when trying to enforce a timing hierarchy, even between local
switches.  It takes a considerable amount of engineering work to
ensure this.  The other problem is convincing someone that there is a
problem in their network.  One phrase that may help the telephone
company isolating the problem is asking them to investigate the slip
rate that the transmission equipment is reporting.  It is unlikely
that you can give this information to the person answering the repair
phone, as in my experience, all they know about is that you will get
charged if they find that the problem is in your wiring.

kaufman@SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Kaufman) (10/25/87)

In article <KPETERSEN.12345088748.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> jhh@ihlpl.UUCP (Haller) writes:
>          ...give this information to the person answering the repair
>phone, as in my experience, all they know about is that you will get
>charged if they find that the problem is in your wiring.

"It will be fixed tomorrow before 5 o'clock"

My local office just cut over to ESS (from #5 crossbar).  Evidently I can
now buy a "data guaranteed" line for $$ extra per month.  I have not been
able to get a guarantee that if "I" have a data guaranteed line, and the
other end (computer) has a data guaranteed line, ... that the central
office trunks will preserve the data.

I have just gone through a very long hassle with the local Telco over 48
InWATS lines that are used for data.  The upshot is that "there is no
data tariff for WATS", so they refuse to test for impulse noise and
other forms of data degradation as long as the circuit can be used for voice.

Thanks to deregulation, I discovered that if you get T1 service from the
local toll office, you cannot get straight digital passthrough from the
toll trunks.  The lines are individually broken down to 2-wire analog
circuits, sent through the nearest CO, and re-digitized for transmission
to the customer!  Fun, huh?

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Shasta.stanford.edu)