[comp.dcom.telecom] Subscriber Line Interfaces

dale@lamont.UUCP (dale chayes) (10/18/87)

I am (reluctantly) doing an interface between a PBX (probably a Mitel SX-20)
and a Magnavox MX-211 INMARSAT (ship earth station) and am in need of a (the)
reference that defines (electrikly) a Subscriber Line (SLIC?.)

The MX-211 uses a '4 wire' phone line. I already have a '4-wire to 2-wire'
conversion that works, and the interface to get the MX-211 to establish
a connection through a satellite. What I have yet to resolve is the 'off hook'
detector. The interface was built for a Hayes 1200 baud modem and the 'off hook'
is done with the other set of relay contacts that only appear to exist in
the Hayes 1200s.

It seems to me that the 'thing to do' is to supply a current source (as if
there was a 'local office' in my 4 to 2 conversion box, and detect 'off hook'
by from the current flow.

Comments, reccomendations, and a reference are welcome.

	Dale Chayes
snail:	Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, Palisades, N.Y. 10964
phone:	(914) 359-2900 ext 434
net:	...!philabs!lamont!dale
fax:	(914) 359-6817
--
are we having fun yet?....

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (10/27/87)

In article <159@vema.lamont.LDGO.Columbia.edu>, dale@lamont.UUCP (dale chayes) writes:

> I am (reluctantly) doing an interface between a PBX (probably a Mitel SX-20)
> and a Magnavox MX-211 INMARSAT (ship earth station) and am in need of a (the)
> reference that defines (electrikly) a Subscriber Line (SLIC?.)
>
> It seems to me that the 'thing to do' is to supply a current source (as if
> there was a 'local office' in my 4 to 2 conversion box, and detect 'off hook'
> by from the current flow.
>
> Comments, reccomendations, and a reference are welcome.

Dale, you forgot to mention which side of the PBX you would like to interface
to.   If you want to interface on the instrument side (ie. where a phone would
normally go) then you must make something that looks like a phone to the
PBX.  This really isn't too hard.  You just need to have a two wire interface
that has an impedance of about 600 ohms and a DC resistance of about
200 ohms or less.  This is usually done best through a transformer.  To
my knowledge, Mitel uses their MH88500 SLIC as the interface on that end.
(You can get the specs on that part from Mitel. They sell it in the open
market and it's in their data book.  I've used them in my own PBX and they're
quite nice.)

If, rather, you would like to connect to the trunk end of the PBX (the
interface that usually connects to the phone company), then you need
to build something that looks like a phone line.  It should be a 2 or 4
wire interface (depending on the Mitel trunk interface) and it should
be capable of supplying about 24 volts and 30 ma into a 200 ohm DC load.
It should also have an impedance of 600 ohms.  Depending on the
requirements of the Mitel PBX you could actually use their MH88500 SLIC.

Really, it would be best to get the Mitel data book and look at their SLIC.
It will provide some useful information regardless of which interface you
actually have to build.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Brian