[comp.dcom.telecom] Request for Information

MJK2660@RITVM.BITNET (Mike Koziol) (10/21/87)

I work for the RIT Campus Safety Department and we are interested in
placing emergency telephones around the campus and in parking lots.
Our problem is that digging a trench to run a pair of wires to a phone
in the middle of a parking lot is prohibitively expensive. I'd like
to find a source of telephones that you sometimes see along the sides of
the road on interstates. I've called several suppliers and everyone has
heard of such a system but no one knows where to get one. I'd like a
phone system that uses a radio frequency. I've seen a cellular
emergency phone system but we would like to explore other possibilities.
Thanks for any help you can supply.

brian@casemo.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (10/27/87)

In article <8710222215.AA13338@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MJK2660@RITVM.BITNET (Mike Koziol) writes:
> I work for the RIT Campus Safety Department and we are interested in
> placing emergency telephones around the campus and in parking lots.
> Our problem is that digging a trench to run a pair of wires to a phone
> in the middle of a parking lot is prohibitively expensive. I'd like
> to find a source of telephones that you sometimes see along the sides of
> the road on interstates. I've called several suppliers and everyone has
> heard of such a system but no one knows where to get one. I'd like a

The easiest way to find out may just be to drive out and find one.  Get out
of your car and look to see who makes it.  If it doesn't say, then call
the State Highway Administration.  They'll be able to tell you for sure (if
you can talk to anyone but the front end loader driver :-)

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Cuthie
CASE Communications