[comp.dcom.telecom] no ringing on line

SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU (11/11/87)

 MSG:FROM: SPGDCM  --UCBCMSA  TO: NETWORK --NETWORK           11/10/87 15:22:30
 To: NETWORK --NETWORK  Network Address

 From: Doug Mosher
 Subject: no ringing on line
 To: comp-dcom-telecom@ucbvax

 I was calling another business today and got no action; no ringing, no fast or
 slow busy.

 I reported this to pac bell via 611 and got this puzzling comment from them:

 "Yes, we show this as a problem, probably on their switchboard. We will check
 it and if it's a problem in our lines we will fix it."

 Now this surprises me. It seems to mean that under current multi-company
 situations, the intra-lata carrier can encounter some end-user line situations
 which are blocked or dead, and not return any signal (ring, busy, recording,
 intercept) if it's the "fault" of customer equipment. Is this true, or is the
 repair operator jazzing me?

 (          Doug Mosher <SPGDCM@CMSA.Berkeley.edu>            )
 ( 257 Evans, Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA, 415/642-5823 )
   j  no ringing on line

stevem@fai.UUCP.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <8711140711.AA24080@jade.berkeley.edu> SPGDCM@CMSA.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

> I was calling another business today and got no action; no ringing, no fast
> or slow busy.
>
> I reported this to pac bell via 611 and got this puzzling comment from them:
>
> "Yes, we show this as a problem, probably on their switchboard. We will check
> it and if it's a problem in our lines we will fix it."
>
> Now this surprises me. It seems to mean that under current multi-company
> situations, the intra-lata carrier can encounter some end-user line
> situations which are blocked or dead, and not return any signal (ring, busy,
> recording, intercept) if it's the "fault" of customer equipment. Is this
> true, or is the repair operator jazzing me?

Yes, it's probably true.  When Direct In Dial (D.I.D.) trunks are used, the
last two, three, or four digits are passed to the PBX at the customer site to
indicate which extension in the PBX should be rung.  The PBX is then
responsible for playing ringback tone or busy tone as appropriate, since the
serving central office does not know the status of the desired extension.
Apparently, the PBX is accepting the call, but then not routing it and is just
playing silence.  Most modern electronic central offices will take the D.I.D.
trunk out of service once this happens several times in a row.  After this
happens, you will receive some kind of indication (I'm not sure what).

--

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.