[comp.dcom.telecom] DID

wb8foz@netsys.UUCP (David Lesher) (12/05/87)

>It sounds as if you are describing what's called a DID (Direct Inward
>Dialing) installation.  This is an arrangement whereby the Central
>Office equipment acts in effect as a tandem, directly signaling the
>subscriber's PBX to connect the call to one of its extensions.

BTW is it still true that the BOC will only xmit that data to you via
PULSE? (10pps) That was, I believe, the reason why it takes so long for
DID calls to complete. Now, of course, if you are the BOC
offering CENTREX, it might mean that you have an advantage.....

--

Have you ever WATCHED cable TV, Judge Kennedy?
decuac!netsys!wb8foz

taras@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (T. Pryjma) (12/18/87)

In article <1764@netsys.UUCP> harvard!netsys!wb8foz@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (David Lesher,Contributor) writes:
#
# >It sounds as if you are describing what's called a DID (Direct Inward
# >Dialing) installation.  This is an arrangement whereby the Central
# >Office equipment acts in effect as a tandem, directly signaling the
# >subscriber's PBX to connect the call to one of its extensions.
#
# BTW is it still true that the BOC will only xmit that data to you via
# PULSE? (10pps) That was, I believe, the reason why it takes so long for
# DID calls to complete. Now, of course, if you are the BOC
# offering CENTREX, it might mean that you have an advantage.....
#
Well, Bell Canada does presently have customers who are connected to
the outside with T1 lines from their PBX  to the CO.  Some PBX's are
signalled by tone, there is no real reason that the CO should insist
upon digipulse signalling, except age of equipment.

BTW, CENTREX is not a PBX service.  It is a PBX lookalike service that is
run on the CO exchange and run very tightly by the local telephone
company.  Infact, in previous postings people have posted articles on
residential CENTREX groups of two phones or more that are available in
some areas.  Why you would want to put 2 phones on CENTREX is beyond me
however:-).

--

			 	Taras Pryjma
				uucp: taras@gpu.utcs

Fear is never boring.    hmmm.  hmmmm.
					YEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn those trap doors!  Yup.  Fear is never boring.