[comp.dcom.telecom] a useful service ESS could provide

king@KESTREL.ARPA (Dick King) (02/20/88)

It could allow the user to prefix any dialing with DD*, where DD is
two digits, and the number would appear on the phone bill.

Useful for remembering what calls were business calls or for
separating calls made by roommates.  Not secure, of course, but there
are many applications for which this is okay.

Information would not need to be communited to most LD carriers, since
they tend to contract their billing to the local carrier anyway.

Comments?

-dk

roy%phri@UUNET.UU.NET (Roy Smith) (02/21/88)

In article <8802191800.AA22595@kestrel> king@KESTREL.ARPA (Dick King) writes:
> It could allow the user to prefix any dialing with DD*, where DD is
> two digits, and the number would appear on the phone bill.

	Our PBX at work (An AT&T System 25, I think) has a similar feature.
I forget the exact sequence of what you need to "dial", but you can force
any call to be logged as originating from any extension.  The intent is to
allow you to make a call from somebody else's phone and have it charged to
yours, but of course, there is nothing to keep you from doing it the other
way around.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

ms6b+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Marvin Sirbu) (02/22/88)

As a way of keeping track of my business calls from my home phone, I simply
route them over
an LD carrier other than the default (using 10XXX).  Typically they show up on
my local phone
bill listed separately by carrier.

Marvin Sirbu