[comp.dcom.telecom] 10988 LD Access code and modem carrier

msmith@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU (Mark Robert Smith) (03/06/88)

I dialed 10988+1700 555 1414 and got a a modem carrier.  So , I hooked
up the computer, dialed in at 1200 baud and used 7bit No Parity and 1
stop.
I got an:
ID:
prompt.
Does anybody know what this is?
Mark

--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604, CN 5063        that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

eli@LF-SERVER-2.BBN.COM (Steve Elias) (03/07/88)

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Bcc:

In article <18551@topaz.rutgers.edu> Smitty writes:

?I dialed 10988+1700 555 1414 and got a a modem carrier.  So , I hooked
?up the computer, dialed in at 1200 baud and used 7bit No Parity and 1
?stop.
?I got an:
?ID:
?prompt.
?Does anybody know what this is?

	988 routes calls to western union -- it will be interesting to see if
	you ever get a bill.  do other 700 calls generate tolls ?  if you were
	a legitimate western union outlet, you could probably make all sorts
	of transactions...

woolsey@nsc.nsc.COM (Jeff Woolsey) (03/08/88)

I get a modem carrier when I try to place any call using 10375 as
the prefix.  It answers as
EASYLINK
ID?

The CIC list posted earlier identifies it as Western Union.
I wish people would stop running into my car!

Jeff Woolsey  National Semiconductor
woolsey@nsc.NSC.COM  -or-  woolsey@umn-cs.cs.umn.EDU

ccoprrd@PYR.GATECH.EDU (Richard Dervan) (03/12/88)

In article <8803071837.AA01807@nsc.NSC.COM>, woolsey@nsc.nsc.COM (Jeff Woolsey) writes:
> I get a modem carrier when I try to place any call using 10375 as
> the prefix.  It answers as
> EASYLINK
> ID?
>
> The CIC list posted earlier identifies it as Western Union.

I believe this is an electronic mail service offered my Western Union.  Maybe
the prefix code allows you to access the service from anywhere with equal-
access without having to remember lots of phone access numbers.

-Richard
| Richard B Dervan                     BitNet: ccoprrd@gitvm1             |
| Office of Computing Services         ARPA  : ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.edu     |
| Georgia Institute of Technology      CIS   : 70365,1012                 |
| Atlanta, Ga 30332                    MCI   : RDERVAN                    |
|   uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!ccoprrd   |
|__________________"We don't fit the mold...we build it"__________________|