[comp.dcom.telecom] Your Long Distance Carrier?

bnelson@CCB.BBN.COM (Barry Nelson) (02/23/88)

Okay, so we think it's 1 700 555 2121 or 4141 or 1212.  Well,  I  tried  a  few
random  combinations and it appears that 1 700 555 xxxx will get me a recording
thanking me for selecting a particular carrier (where x is any digit 0-9).

-barry

ole@CSLI.STANFORD.EDU (Ole Jacobsen) (02/26/88)

The 700-555-xxxx works if you prefix it with 10xxx too, that is try
ALL your available Equal Access carriers and hear ALL the different
recordings. If you've got AT&T as your default, you can get the MCI
recording by dialling 10222 700-555-4141, for instance.

There was some speculation that when the "Choose-your-default-carrier"
wars died down, we would see a lot of ads for "try us on a
case-by-case basis" using 10xxx. I don't see much evidence of this
happening. The 10xxx is still a little known feature, billing is real
strange (often delayed by months on your BOC bill), and the carriers
are confused. The other day I got a call from a curious carrier who
had noticed that I was using them on and off, informing me that I
could sign up and stop "testing" their service. When I explained that
I was not "testing" their service he appeared quite perplexed.

I've found that 10xxx is wonderful when certain prefixes block or
you can't get through using the default carrier.

"America, The Land of CHOICE, everything from the type of bread in
your sandwich to your long distance carrier...."

Ole

"Med Televerket inn i fremtiden"

jpederse@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Pedersen) (02/26/88)

In article <8802260130.AA09450@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> bnelson@CCB.BBN.COM (Barry Nelson) writes:

I just tried a few of these numbers on our companys long distance carrier and
got a recording that said "Your call can not be completed as dialed. Please
check the number and try again or call your customer service representative
at 1-800-444-4444. Z3??"

I think we are using MCI but can't tell for sure

--
John.Pedersen@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing

py21%sdcc12@UCSD.EDU (Akkana) (03/04/88)

In article <8802281957.AA17753@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ole@CSLI.STANFORD.EDU (Ole Jacobsen) writes:
> happening. The 10xxx is still a little known feature, billing is real
> strange (often delayed by months on your BOC bill), and the carriers

Interesting -- I didn't have any trouble getting this info from PacBell
when I signed up for service here in San Diego (surprising after dealing
with ConTel in New Mexico, who said "Equal Access?  What's that?  You
must mean three-way calling, here's a brochure describing that feature").
When I said I wasn't sure what carrier I wanted (not having had experience
with any but Sprint and AT&T, both of whom I was pretty sure I didn't
want), she told me that I could put off specifying the carrier and use
10xxx dialing in the meantime.  A list of carriers arrived in the mail
two days later.  I haven't noticed any delay on 10xxx billing here,
either (at least on the MCI calls).

> are confused. The other day I got a call from a curious carrier who
> had noticed that I was using them on and off, informing me that I
> could sign up and stop "testing" their service. When I explained that
> I was not "testing" their service he appeared quite perplexed.

There do seem to be billing problems -- someone from Allnet keeps
calling my number asking why we've been using their service without
subscribing and apparently wanting to tell us to stop (I think, but
they haven't managed to catch me at home yet).  Perhaps all they want
to do is solicit my subscription to get me to stop "testing".  I may
subscribe service anyway, since it's the only one I've found so far
which has decent line quality (Sprint used to be really good before
equal access, but now I can't even understand voices on it -- I hear
other people on the line more loudly than I do the person who is
supposed to be calling me on Sprint).

--
	...Akkana
	LaboratoryForBiologicalDynamicsAndTheoreticalMedicine, UCSD

"I think I'll take a walk.  Hmm, wonder where this wire goes?"
			-- Max Headroom

tom@rabbit1.UUCP (Tom Donohue) (03/05/88)

In article <8802281957.AA17753@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ole@CSLI.STANFORD.EDU (Ole Jacobsen) writes:
> There was some speculation that when the "Choose-your-default-carrier"
> wars died down, we would see a lot of ads for "try us on a
> case-by-case basis" using 10xxx.

I live in the Philadelphia 'burbs.  Bell of PA enclosed a
flyer in my most recent bill urging me to prefix my calls
to nearby Southern New Jersey towns with 10BPA to save $$
compared to AT&T rates.  (I never call South Jersey, so I
assume my neighbors received this flyer too).
--
-- tom		...!{allegra,caip,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!hutch!tom

dzoey@UMD5.UMD.EDU (Joe Herman) (03/07/88)

From article <982@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU>, by py21%sdcc12@UCSD.EDU (Akkana):

> In article <8802281957.AA17753@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ole@CSLI.STANFORD.EDU (Ole Jacobsen) writes:
>> happening. The 10xxx is still a little known feature, billing is real
>> strange (often delayed by months on your BOC bill), and the carriers
>
> Interesting -- I didn't have any trouble getting this info from PacBell
> when I signed up for service here in San Diego....

10XXX dialing still seems to be an unknown feature to many BOC personnel.
When I moved into my new appartment, I called C & P customer service and
asked them for a list of long distance companies and their access codes.

When I asked about 10XXX dialing, I was told that I could have a
list of long distance companies and their custom service numbers, but I
would have to call each company and get the access number from them.
I have a feeling that they want you to call the companies so that you
can set up a billing account.  They also told me there is a
$5 dollar surcharge to switch default long distance  companies.

Well, since I thought that 10XXX was public information, I called the
Maryland Public Service Commision.  They were absolutely no help.
They had never heard of 10XXX numbers.

At least before the breakup, Ma Bell was consistant.

                           JoeH.

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

P.S.  Thank you to whoever reposted the 10XXX list.
--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

shs@VANHALEN.RUTGERS.EDU (S. H. Schwartz) (03/09/88)

In article <435@rabbit1.UUCP> tom@rabbit1.UUCP (Tom Donohue) writes:

>I live in the Philadelphia 'burbs.  Bell of PA enclosed a
>flyer in my most recent bill urging me to prefix my calls
>to nearby Southern New Jersey towns with 10BPA to save $$
>compared to AT&T rates.  (I never call South Jersey, so I
>assume my neighbors received this flyer too).

New Jersey Bell (local carrier) has converse service from SW NJ to Phillie
and NE NJ to NYC: prefix with 10NJB.

--
                     *** QUESTION AUTHORITIES ***
                          Rashi, Rif, Maharal...

dupuy@WESTEND.COLUMBIA.EDU (Alexander Dupuy) (03/10/88)

In article <435@rabbit1.UUCP> tom@rabbit1.UUCP (Tom Donohue) writes:

>I live in the Philadelphia 'burbs.  Bell of PA enclosed a
>flyer in my most recent bill urging me to prefix my calls
>to nearby Southern New Jersey towns with 10BPA to save $$
>compared to AT&T rates.

New Jersey Bell has a similar campaign ("Dial 10-NJB") here in NYC,
encouraging people making calls to Jersey to save over AT&T rates.  If
we only had equal access, my roommates (whose parents live in Trenton
and Princeton) would probably give it a try.

@alex

inet: dupuy@columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!dupuy

mende@PORTHOS.RUTGERS.EDU (Bob Mende pie) (03/13/88)

In article <5400@columbia.edu> dupuy@WESTEND.COLUMBIA.EDU (Alexander Dupuy) writes:
> New Jersey Bell has a similar campaign ("Dial 10-NJB") here in NYC,
> encouraging people making calls to Jersey to save over AT&T rates.  If
> we only had equal access, my roommates (whose parents live in Trenton
> and Princeton) would probably give it a try.

   No ... the 10NJB only works to a few parts of NJ.   From NY they
only work the surrounding counties.  You cant use it in any many
counties (morris and middlesex come to mind).   I assume that somthing
similar works for PA area.

		     				/bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@zodiac.bitnet

YOW!!  The land of the rising SONY!!

dwl@mtunf.att.COM (Dave Levenson) (03/15/88)

In article <5400@columbia.edu>, dupuy@WESTEND.COLUMBIA.EDU (Alexander Dupuy) writes:
> New Jersey Bell has a similar campaign ("Dial 10-NJB") here in NYC,
> encouraging people making calls to Jersey to save over AT&T rates.  If
> we only had equal access, my roommates (whose parents live in Trenton
> and Princeton) would probably give it a try.

New Jersey Bell is not permitted to handle calls between NYC and Princeton
or Trenton.  Both are inter-lata calls.  The 10-NJB stuff only works between
NYC and a few counties of Northern NJ.  I think it includes Hudson, Essex,
Bergen, Union, and Passaic Counties.  I know it does not allow us to call
NYC from Somerset County (we're 30 miles from NYC).