[comp.dcom.telecom] Connecting a modem to a 2 line phone jack

cc743810@sjuvax.UUCP (Chuck(ster)) (03/26/88)

I have a Hayes 1200b modem installed in an AT&T 6300 PC, and the office
that it is in has a 2-line phone.  The phones wall plug is not the
standard size, it is wider.  How do I connect the modem to the 2 line
wall jack?  (It it not necessary to have the phone operational when
the modem is in use - but it would be nice if it is an easy to do hack).

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Chuck Conway
--
Chuck Conway, Mopar Pilot             ...!allegra\
cc743810@sjuvax.UUCP  -or-  ...!rutgers!cbmvax!bpa!sjuvax!cc743810

kwe@BU-CS.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (03/31/88)

In article <1218@sjuvax.UUCP> bellcore!bpa!sjuvax!cc743810@rutgers.edu (Chuck(ster)) writes:

>I have a Hayes 1200b modem installed in an AT&T 6300 PC, and the office
>that it is in has a 2-line phone.  The phones wall plug is not the
>standard size, it is wider.  How do I connect the modem to the 2 line
>wall jack?

	If it's a wider jack it is probably an eight-wire or RJ-45
jack.  AT&T calls the shots for wiring a 4 pair jack and they maintain
the same pin-out for the first and second line pairs, although pair
one is still pair one, pair two [the second line] is pair three on the
punchdown.  If you want to connect to the first line, I think a
regular one or two pair patch cord should work.  If you want to
connect to the second phone line you need a little adaptor to swap the
first and second pair.  I think these are common at Radio Shack.  You
should be able to plug a cord designed for the narrow jack into the
fat jack.

Here's the two different pin-outs:

	RJ-11 (narrow jack) what the modem wants

	1	2	3	4	5	6
	Pr	R2	R1	T1	T2	Pr

	T&R refer to tip and ring [like + and -]. I may have the pin
number ordering reversed.  The number refers to the ordering of the
pair on the punchdown.  1 is the first line and 2 is the second line.
Pr is for power (to light your Princess phone :-)

	RJ-45 (wide jack) what the phone is wired for

	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8
	P2	P2	R3	R1	T1	T3	Pr	Pr

	Pair one is for voice, the second and third pair for data and
the fourth pair for power, but you can use the third pair for the
second phone line.  Is this too confusing?  Try a standard patch cord
and see if it works, you might have trouble swapping tip & ring,
although I'm not sure but that the modem will work either way.

> (It it not necessary to have the phone operational when
>the modem is in use - but it would be nice if it is an easy to do
>hack).

	That will only work if the modem is on line 2 and the phone on
line 1, of course.

	Kent England, Boston University