[comp.dcom.telecom] COCOTS

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (04/11/88)

I would like to suggest a simple solution to the COCOT problem.
Certainly any service-provider ought to be able offer public
telephone service at any price, but the price ought to be available
to the public before a call is actually placed.

I suggest that the several states (or perhaps the FCC where
interstate calls are involved) should require that ALL public
telephones display the surcharge schedule for their toll calls, just
as they now display the cost of a local call.  The calling party can
then look at the rate card on the telephone, and compare it with the
rate card on a nearby telephone provided by another company, and
make an informed decision.

What do you think?

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (04/14/88)

In article <145@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I suggest that the several states (or perhaps the FCC where
>interstate calls are involved) should require that ALL public
>telephones display the surcharge schedule for their toll calls,...

I prefer this alternative:  Just as the Post Office has mandated that
unsolicited merchandise may be kept as a free gift, the consumer may
safely assume that if no charges are listed on the telephone, then
there are none.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

evans@shuksan.UUCP (Gary Evans) (04/15/88)

In article <145@westmark.UUCP>, dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:

> I would like to suggest a simple solution to the COCOT problem.
> ...(parts edited)...                   ...require that ALL public
> telephones display the surcharge schedule for their toll calls, just
> as they now display the cost of a local call....

Yes, I agree with the idea that there should be a rate schedule on
the phone itself and in addition, there should be a FREE number to
call and ask about rates, etc. BEFORE one decides to use the service.

Roger  Swann		uucp: uw-beaver\!ssc-vax\!clark