[comp.dcom.telecom] Call Waiting Indication

km@emory.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) (04/13/88)

Is there any way to get a call waiting indication other
than the standard short beep. It would be great if it
could be made to ring the phone bell, light a light, or
even just give a longer tone on the handset.

The issue is that I use a modem on my only line and I
would like to know when incoming calls are coming in.
My new modem (trailblazer) fights through the call waiting
beep without a flicker, so I can't tell.

--
Ken Mandelberg      |  {decvax,sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!km  UUCP
Emory University    |  km@emory                             BITNET

davidc@PYR.GATECH.EDU (David Carter) (04/15/88)

In article <2844@emory.uucp> km@emory.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is there any way to get a call waiting indication other
>than the standard short beep.
>Ken Mandelberg      |  {decvax,sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!km  UUCP

Maybe.  If your phone system supplies a battery drop (heard as a loud click
just before the call waiting beep; much of Atlanta does, but some "digital"
offices don't) then you can add an inexpensive device to detect the battery
drop.

The device is a "battery detect relay."  It has two coils that go in series
between the incoming phone line and (in this case) your modem.  While there
is battery on the line (call is up) a SPST contact is held closed.  So when
you get a call waiting the switch will open briefly.  Wire the switch to
whatever else you like (loud buzzer, big light, something to give you a
shock, etc.).

Delta Electronics in Atlanta probably still has them.

David Carter
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!davidc
ARPA: davidc@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu
--

tedk@ihuxv.UUCP (Kekatos) (04/16/88)

In article <2844@emory.uucp> km@emory.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is there any way to get a call waiting indication other
  { text deleted }
>My new modem (trailblazer) fights through the call waiting
>beep without a flicker, so I can't tell.

Dear Ken,
My suggestion is to get a second phone line installed with
multi-line hunt.  Or get a second line installed that is used
_only_ for your modem.

Ted G. Kekatos
backbone!ihnp4!ihuxv!tedk                     (312) 979-0804
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill South, IX-1F-460
Naperville & Wheaton Roads - Naperville, Illinois. 60566 USA