[comp.dcom.telecom] Your call did not go through...

roy%phri@UUNET.UU.NET (Roy Smith) (04/29/88)

	I just called Sun's service center and got the usual "dial 1 for
software assistance, dial 2 for hardware assistance" message.  I dialed 1
and got a recording saying, "da Da DAH!  You call did not go through,
please try again.  212 4T", which raises several questions.

	1) What handles the "dial 1 for .." call redirection?  Is it done
at the CO or by the customers own PBX equipment?

	2) What does the "212 4T" mean?  Is there some universal code for
these error messages or does each system use whatever codes it wants to?
Presumably it's some sort of "all trunks busy" problem.

	3) Why is the "da Da DAH!" always so loud?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

mgrant@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Michael Grant) (04/29/88)

>        I just called Sun's service center and got the usual "dial 1 for
>software assistance, dial 2 for hardware assistance" message.  I dialed 1
>and got a recording saying, "da Da DAH!  You call did not go through,
>please try again.  212 4T", which raises several questions.

1-800-USA-4SUN, I'm pretty sure that they are subscribers to AT&T's
Extended 800 service.  The recordings you hear, "Thankyou for calling
Sun Microsystems..." are generated by the AT&T network.  When you
press enough keys for the network to decide where to dump the call, it
then puts your call through.

I am told that this system is also used for the 900 Dialit service.

-Mike Grant

johnl@think.UUCP (John R. Levine) (04/30/88)

In article <3250@phri.UUCP> roy%phri@UUNET.UU.NET (Roy Smith) writes:
>	I just called Sun's service center and got the usual "dial 1 for
>software assistance, dial 2 for hardware assistance" message.  I dialed 1
>and got a recording saying, "da Da DAH!  You call did not go through,
>please try again.  212 4T", which raises several questions.

This is an enhanced 800 service provided by AT&T.  You may have noticed that
it didn't ring before you got the announcement, because it's AT&T 800
exchanges talking to you.  It lets you dial through a tree (generally pretty
flat) to decide who actually to call.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

jimmy@PIC.UCLA.EDU (04/30/88)

In article <3250@phri.UUCP> roy%phri@UUNET.UU.NET (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I just called Sun's service center and got the usual "dial 1 for
[...]
>	1) What handles the "dial 1 for .." call redirection?  Is it done
>at the CO or by the customers own PBX equipment?

It is done by AT&T in Kansas City.  The call routing information is then sent
back to your local tandem office and a new call is set up.

>	2) What does the "212 4T" mean?  Is there some universal code for

212 is the area code.  4T is the number of the tandem switch.

>	3) Why is the "da Da DAH!" always so loud?

It has to be loud enough to be heard by the equipment (not your ears) that
it is meant for.

...Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu  or  jimmy@denwa.UUCP>

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.EDU (Dave Goldblatt) (05/02/88)

>From article <3250@phri.UUCP>, by roy%phri@UUNET.UU.NET (Roy Smith):
>
> 	I just called Sun's service center and got the usual "dial 1 for
> software assistance, dial 2 for hardware assistance" message.  I dialed 1
> and got a recording saying, "da Da DAH!  You call did not go through,
> please try again.  212 4T", which raises several questions.

That's weird.  Your call reached Sun?

> 	1) What handles the "dial 1 for .." call redirection?  Is it done
> at the CO or by the customers own PBX equipment?

Normally its by the company's own system.  I'm not sure the Phone Co's
do it at all; I think it can only be done by the PBX.

> 	2) What does the "212 4T" mean?  Is there some universal code for
> these error messages or does each system use whatever codes it wants to?
> Presumably it's some sort of "all trunks busy" problem.

The "212" is the area code you are calling from.  The next set varies;
from (516) I'll get "516 3C", and it normally does signify the trunks are
busy..  That's a message from the LD carrier tho' (although I think the
locals can issue it as well)

> 	3) Why is the "da Da DAH!" always so loud?

Because if it was quieter, you'd be able to hear all the line noise
on your next call! :-)

-dg-
--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu    or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu