[comp.dcom.telecom] Dial Up Porn

andy@CARCOAR.STANFORD.EDU (Andy Freeman) (05/03/88)

In article <1096@wa4mei.UUCP> rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI  wa4mei!rsj) writes:
>			But I feel the main problem is the charges.
>For years children have always been told that anytime a phone number has a 1
>in front of it that it is going to cost money to call.

This "rule" doesn't work everywhere.  For example, if one has measured
service (n free local calls then some number of cents for each
additional call), a local call can cost.  More to the point however,
is that in some area codes (415 is one, although that may change),
toll calls within the area code do not require the 1 prefix.  Even
calls to other area codes (say, 404) are made by dialing the area
code followed by the 7 digit number; the 1 prefix is not used.
Since all of the pay-to-talk lines are either 976 (prefix) or
900 (area code), perhaps one should use a reliable rule.

I'm not trying to call you folks bad parents or anything, but what
else do you lock up besides the phone?  My parents didn't lock the
liquor cabinet and they told us where things like spare car keys and
guns were hidden.  My sister and I could even be trusted to do our
homework before watching TV without putting a lock on it.  Maybe
the pay-per-call problem you folks have is more general.

-andy