[comp.dcom.telecom] Exchanges that look like area codes

marston.UUCP@eleazar.UUCP (David Marston) (04/26/88)

the matching N0X area code?

In article <1154@csuna.UUCP> abcscnge@csuna.UUCP (Scott "The Pseudo Hacker" Neugroschl) writes:
>The answer to this is the same as the answer to how they distinguish a
>one digit number starting with 0 :-) or, for those areas which still
>do not require any prefix (Maryland a few years ago, maybe still) and
>may need to deal with the new exchanges.  They time out.  If you reach
>one of the possible ends of a number (after 1 or 7 digits) and don't
>dial another digit within N seconds, it assumes you are done and goes
>ahead.
I have an alternate explanation. (This may cause various people to post
examples of exchanges they've seen, but here it goes anyway.)
I have only seen examples of N0X or N1X exchanges in major-city area codes
that consist of a single local calling area. My first encounter was a few
years ago when I saw an ad for a firm whose number was 212-603-xxxx. This
was before the 718 split in New York City. 603 is the area code for my home
state of New Hampshire, but I figured "no problem" as follows: anyone
calling from outside the 212 area code would dial 1-212-603-xxxx to get
this firm and there would be no ambiguity. People within 212 would ALL
dial 603-xxxx, just seven digits, because any number in 212 can reach any
other number in 212 without dialing 1 first. If a New Yorker dials 1-603-,
you know that 7 more digits will follow and the call is destined for NH.
.................David Marston          decvax!dartvax!eleazar!marston
                                        marston@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU

cmoore@BRL.ARPA (Carl Moore, VLD/VMB) (05/03/88)

I don't know of any N0X/N1X prefixes currently in use in Maryland,
but an earlier posting by me mentioned new 202-915 (Washington, DC).
The long-distance dialing instructions for Md., DC, and Va. were changed
late last year (local calls are still made with just the 7 digit number,
with exceptions I noted near Severn, Md.):
OLD--in DC and all but outermost Md. and Va. suburbs, use areacode + number,
even if within Md. or 703 area in Va.; elsewhere in Md. and Va. use 1+areacode
+number.
NEW--in Md., DC, and 703 area in Va., use 1+areacode+number. (In DC area, the 1+
is new requirement; elsewhere in Md. and 703, use of areacode within one's own
area is new requirement.)