[comp.dcom.telecom] Is there a path from BITNET to Compuserve?

NU115247@ndsuvm1.BITNET (04/27/88)

I would like to know if there is a path between BITNET and Compuserve??
In other words, can i send files that i have in my Compuserve logon to
my BITNET logon and vice versa??  If there is such a path, how much does
Compuserve charge to use it?? ( America, the land of the fee)  What i'd
like to do is send files from my Compuserve logon to my BITNET logon and
download from BITNET becauseITNET doesn't charge me $12 and hour to
download!

Thanks for your help,
-------
Jeff Cooper                  | Stress:  The confusion created when the
NU115247 @ NDSUVM1.BITNET    |          to choke the living shit out of

mdf@TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Mark D. Freeman) (05/01/88)

In <734NU115247@NDSUVM1> NU115247@ndsuvm1.BITNET writes:
>I would like to know if there is a path between BITNET and Compuserve??

According to some poeple at CompuServe whom I spoke with last week,
connecting CompuServe to non-commercial networks causes an interesting
problem.

If you send mail FROM CompuServe to another network, CompuServe can
bill the sender (who obviously has a CompuServe account).

If you send mail TO CompuServe, who do they bill for the resources to
process it?  You can't charge the RECEIVING CompuServe account, as the
mail might be unsolicited and/or something the CompuServe user doesn't
want to pay for.  They can't bill the non-commercial network, as there
is no central organization with the authority and/or responsibility for
such things.

Creating a link from CompuServe to other commercial networks poses much
less of a problem, in that they need a funny-money exchange agreement,
just like what most universities do for interdepartmental use of CIS
department computer time.

So, there is no link between CompuServe and BITNET.  It seems to me
like the problem keeping that link from being created is insoluble.  If
you have any ideas on ways around the billing problem, I'd like to hear
it.

* I don't work for or use CompuServe in any way.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

henry@GARP.MIT.EDU (Henry Mensch) (05/03/88)

   From: mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman)
   Date: 30 Apr 88 19:44:37 GMT

   So, there is no link between CompuServe and BITNET.  It seems to me
   like the problem keeping that link from being created is insoluble.  If
   you have any ideas on ways around the billing problem, I'd like to hear
   it.

Yeah; they could simply NOT CHARGE FOR IT (y'know, include it as a
SERVICE).  Of course, this is probably too much to expect.

# Henry Mensch  /  <henry@garp.mit.edu>  /  E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# {ames,cca,decvax,harvard,lotus,mit-eddie,rochester,soft21}!garp!henry

RAY@AI.AI.MIT.EDU (Ray Hirschfeld) (05/04/88)

    Date: 30 Apr 88 19:44:37 GMT
    From: mdf at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman)
    To:   TELECOM at MIT-MC
    Re:   Is there a path from BITNET to Compuserve?
    So, there is no link between CompuServe and BITNET.  It seems to me
    like the problem keeping that link from being created is insoluble.

Maybe not.  After all, there is a link between MCImail and the
internet.  The billing is simple:  mail from MCImail to the internet
is charged the usual fee; mail from the internet to MCImail is free.

I don't know how it's REALLY paid for--for all I know the DoD pays MCI
a fee for the connection.  The link is supposed to be used only for
official correspondence, but I don't know whether the definition of
"official" is any more stringent than that required for use of the
ARPAnet in the first place.

It seems possible that MCI provides this service at no charge.  The
link provides revenues from outgoing messages that otherwise could not
be sent, and the marginal cost of handling incoming messages might
very well be small.  If so, CompuServe could profit from the same sort
of arrangement.

				Ray

P.S.  The reply-to: field in your message is incorrect.