[comp.dcom.telecom] Automated Alert System

DREUBEN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Douglas Scott Reuben) (05/04/88)

     I've recently noticed something odd about the Bell automated alert system.
I'm not sure of the proper name of this system, but what it does is provide
a caller with information about a number which is not in service.

     I'm sure everyone has heard it...An example of a basic message would
be:

     <Alert Tones>"The number you have reached, 555-9494, has been temporarily
disconnected, and calls are being taken by, Area Code 301 , 555-1209. Please
make a note of it."

      I am referring to the Bell System machines that are found in New York,
Connecticut, California (non-GTE, of course! ;-) ), Chicago, etc. DMS-100's
don't count.

      I have noticed that whenever one gets one of these messages, in the
background, one can hear many other messages at the samr time. For example,
if the recording you are connected to is in the process of saying
"...is not in service...", then in the background one hears "...being checked
for trouble..." repeated over and over. In other words, it seems as if I
am hearing the recordings of other callers as well.

     Moreover, its always the same "background" recording when the recording
you have called says a specific phrase. While the "main" one is pausing between
the first and second time the message is repeated, I always here "has been
temporarily disconnected". At the end of the recording, when the message
system drops to the re-order signal, I always hear "in area code" repeated
over and over until the system cuts off. In other words, at specific parts
of my message, I hear specific parts of other messages, and this does not
seem to vary from one area to another.

     I realize this is a rather esoteric inquiry, but I am quite curious
as to why this happens, and any ideas would be appreciated.

     Thanks,

     -Doug

DReuben%Eagle.Weslyn@Wesleyan.Bitnet
DReuben@Eagle.Weslyn

arnie@tikal.teltone.COM (Arnold Koster) (05/04/88)

In article <8805040322.AA23478@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DREUBEN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Douglas Scott Reuben) writes:
>     I've recently noticed something odd about the Bell automated alert system.
>     <Alert Tones>"The number you have reached, 555-9494, has been temporarily
>disconnected, and calls are being taken by, Area Code 301 , 555-1209. Please
>make a note of it."
>      I have noticed that whenever one gets one of these messages, in the
>background, one can hear many other messages at the samr time.
>     Thanks,
>     -Doug
>DReuben%Eagle.Weslyn@Wesleyan.Bitnet
>DReuben@Eagle.Weslyn

These messages are recorded on a continuous multi-track tape belt,
about 1-1/2 to 2 inches wide, with different messages on each track.
What you are hearing in the background is the message that is recorded
on the tracks adjacent to the one your message is on, due to head
misalignment within the machine.

The tones at the beginning of these messages are called SIT tones
(Special Information Tones) and identify the type of message that
follows.

Arnie Koster
...uw-beaver!tikal!arnie
arnie@tikal.Teltone.com
--
Arnie Koster	arnie@tikal.Teltone.COM
		...uw-beaver!tikal!arnie

jimmy@pic.ucla.EDU (05/05/88)

In article <8805040322.AA23478@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DREUBEN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Douglas Scott Reuben) writes:

>     I've recently noticed something odd about the Bell automated alert system.
>
>      I have noticed that whenever one gets one of these messages, in the
>background, one can hear many other messages at the same time.

Those machines are mechanical with the voice stored on drums.  Need I
say more?  GTE's are newer digital ones (since they were at least 10 years
late in getting them).

jimmy@denwa.UUCP