[comp.dcom.telecom] "Party Lines"

Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.COM (05/07/88)

I think it's interesting the way the phone companies are selling
something that used to be free.

When I was in high school, it quickly became known when one of the
local telco's recorded announcement machine was broken.
Everyone would call{hGy a non-existant number and have a giant party line. Ther
no charge of course and it was quite a bit of fun to see
who you cv:ould get to give their number or school. Now the
local telcos are charging .20 a minute?

Along the same lines, it wasn't well known, but most telcos would give
you a number if it wasn't in use. You did not have to take the one they
assigned to you. Mountain Bell is now charging $50 for this!

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/11/88)

In article <8805080903.1.124@cup.portal.com> Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.COM writes:
>I think it's interesting the way the phone companies are selling
>something that used to be free.
>
>When I was in high school, it quickly became known when one of the
>local telco's recorded announcement machine was broken.

  We found that there was one busy signal for the entire exchange, and
that you could speak a word at a time between the beeps. I met a lot of
girls that way...
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)