[comp.dcom.telecom] TOLLS/LOCAL CALLS

cck@COMPUTING-MATHS.CARDIFF.AC.UK (C Carmock) (05/17/88)

Is it true that In the USA local telephone calls are free of charge, or
does this perate in bands.  I.e. the more fixed fee you pay the wider the
circle of toll free calls.
Thanks.

Clive Carmock (cck@v1.cm.cf.ac.uk  OR   cck@cf-cm.UUCP)
 (cck@v1.cm.cf.ac.uk  OR   cck@cf-cm.UUCP)

[Yes, it's true. In *most* areas there are things called "local calling
areas" which may be dialed for free from your phone. The charge for these
calls is included in the monthly service charge. Some areas have "metropolitan"
service areas which are not part of local calling areas but can be accessed
for a fee (flat rate). I think Chicago is the only area which has mandatory
measured service, but it is fairly reasonable. --jsol]

rogerk@mipseast.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/18/88)

In article <399@cf-cm.UUCP> our moderator writes:
>[I think Chicago is the only area which has mandatory
>measured service, but it is fairly reasonable. --jsol]

New York City has message-unit billing for all local calls, and monthly
service charges contain an allowance of message units.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300