[comp.dcom.telecom] Continuously ringing telephone

roskos@csed-47.UUCP (Eric Roskos) (05/09/88)

Recently, in a futile attempt to receive WEFAX satellite transmissions,
I bought a VHF converter for one of my shortwave radios.  Since the
satellite broadcasts turned out to be discontinued, I started looking for
other things of interest nearby, and found something unusual.

On 152.780 MHz, there is what sounds like a telephone ringing, all the time.
I have been listening to it for about 3 hours now (while doing other
things) to see if anyone ever answers, but all that happens is that the
amplitude of the ringing changes from time to time.  It is a very normal
sounding ring signal, like you hear when you place a phone call.

I am wondering what this is?  According to my frequency allocation tables,
it says this frequency is allocated to "Mobile Telephone, Landline Companies,"
and that it is channel "JK".  It is sent in FM mode, and is a very
strong signal.

The channel names listed in this table also do not seem to make much
sense mnemonically, does anyone know what they mean?  The channels listed,
in order, are JL, YL, JP, YP, YJ, YK, JS, YS, YR, JK, and JR.

jshelton@ADS.COM (John L. Shelton) (05/11/88)

In article <8805090023.AA00938@csed-47.csed.com> roskos@csed-47.UUCP (Eric Roskos) writes:
>Recently, in a futile attempt to receive WEFAX satellite transmissions,
>
>On 152.780 MHz, there is what sounds like a telephone ringing, all the time.
>
>I am wondering what this is?  According to my frequency allocation tables,
>it says this frequency is allocated to "Mobile Telephone, Landline Companies,"
>
>The channel names listed in this table also do not seem to make much
>sense mnemonically, does anyone know what they mean?  The channels listed,
>in order, are JL, YL, JP, YP, YJ, YK, JS, YS, YR, JK, and JR.

The channels you mention are 11 of the 12 "IMTS" (Improved Mobile
Telephone Service) channels put into operation in the early sixties.
The original mobile telephone service was entirely manual.  IMTS
improved on this by making the mobile phone call almost entirely
automatic.  It worked as follows:

1.  An idle telephone in a car hunts until it finds the "next"
channel.  All idle phones are listening to this channel, and a special
tone or signal is broadcast on this channel to help the phones find
it.  (Perhaps your ringing sound *is* that signal.)

2.  If a landline customer rings a mobile phone, the landline customer
is connected to the idle channel; the mobile unit's id is broadcast on
that channel, and the correct mobile phone recognizes and starts
ringing.  All other idle phones move to the next channel.

3.  If a mobile user wishes to place a call, he/she picks up the
phone.  The mobile unit siezes the line (by transmitting a special id
tone) and once again all other phones hunt to the next line.

It is interesting to note that originally 12 frequencies were all that
were available.  Most cities had fewer than that because of
interference with adjacent towns.  (For much the same reason that no
city has all 12 VHF channels.)  Eventually another batch of 10 or 12
channels were allocated.  Now, with Cellular Mobile Telephony, 666
channels have been  allocated by the FCC, with 333 more in reserve.
Since these channels can be reused within a city, the potential is
there for many more customers.

I recall inquiring once (in 1973) about the wait for IMTS service in
Dallas, Texas, and being told the wait was 7 *years*.

=John Shelton=

prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) (05/11/88)

Ten or eleven channels on VHF would appear to be the old (pre-cellular days)
mobile phone system.  I ran into this many years ago with a home-brew VHF
set (vacuum tubes no less!).  If you would call a mobile number (they all had
the same exchange), the call would be signalled out through the lowest
unused channel (presumably the remote was scanning or listening on the lowest
unoccupied channel too).  Because so few channels were available, and had to
cover a very large area (i.e. all of Philadelphia and it's suburbs), subscribers
had to be severely limited and prices per unit of time were very high.  The
land-line signal was very strong because of the wide area coverage required.

I've wondered what became of this service now that cellular is the standard.
The constant ringing sounds like a remote tried to place a call to a land-line
and it never answered; perhaps this is just a test signal generated by the
mobile-phone company so the FCC won't take away their license or reassign
those channels; perhaps they still have some customers?

Frank Prindle
Prindle@NADC.arpa

tedk%ihuxv%ihnp4%cbosgd@mtune.att.COM (05/13/88)

In article <8805090023.AA00938@csed-47.csed.com> roskos@csed-47.UUCP (Eric Roskos) writes:
|Recently, in a futile attempt to receive WEFAX satellite transmissions,
|I bought a VHF converter for one of my shortwave radios.  Since the
|satellite broadcasts turned out to be discontinued, I started looking for
|other things of interest nearby, and found something unusual.
|
|On 152.780 MHz, there is what sounds like a telephone ringing, all the time.
|I have been listening to it for about 3 hours now (while doing other
|things) to see if anyone ever answers, but all that happens is that the
|amplitude of the ringing changes from time to time.  It is a very normal
|sounding ring signal, like you hear when you place a phone call.
|
|I am wondering what this is?  According to my frequency allocation tables,
|it says this frequency is allocated to "Mobile Telephone, Landline Companies,"
|and that it is channel "JK".  It is sent in FM mode, and is a very
|strong signal.
|
|The channel names listed in this table also do not seem to make much
|sense mnemonically, does anyone know what they mean?  The channels listed,
|in order, are JL, YL, JP, YP, YJ, YK, JS, YS, YR, JK, and JR.

I am sure that if you repost your question to the HAM RADIO newsgroup, that
the folks over there would know.

Ted G. Kekatos

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (05/19/88)

In article <8805111234.AA29347@NADC.ARPA>, prindle@NADC.ARPA (Frank Prindle) writes:
> I've wondered what became of this service now that cellular is the standard.

The IMTS (Improved Mobile Telephone Service) is still offered, and is
finally useable.  It used to be terribly over-crowded (in major
cities) because of the limited number of channels and large demand
for service.  Now that most users have gone to Cellular, the IMTS
channels are generally available.  The transmission quality is poor,
compared with the UHF Cellular service.

Why would anybody want it today?  Cellular serves most of the 300
largest cities.  It is now being deployed along the major corridors
between.  But for a lot of rural areas, small towns, and back roads,
Cellular is not available yet.  IMTS, for all of its technical
shortcomings, is mature, and serves a far larger area.  My partner
in Sussex County, NJ, still uses IMTS, because the local phone
company there (not NJ Bell) offers it.  Cellular hasn't arrived yet
in that corner of the state.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney