[comp.dcom.telecom] Special Spkr Phone wanted...

evans@shuksan.UUCP (Gary Evans) (05/19/88)

First of all - This is NOT Gary. It is Roger Swann on Gary's system.
	       'inews' on the ssc-vax is having a problem right now.
	       Please send email replies to uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark.

Now to the meat of the matter:

I had an idea for the phone used in a lab area:

The situation is one where there are persons in the room, but no
one is usually near the phone. So, when the phone rings someone
has to walk over 20ft to get the call. And as a result, no one
_wants_ to answer the phone. Callers that let the phone ring many,
many times, are usually the only ones to get answered.

My solution would be to hookup a speakerphone type device that would
automatically answer the line after a few rings. Then anyone in the
room could answer the phone by just speaking loadly after the line
had been _picked up_. If no one happened to be there to catch the
call, so what, no problem.

Does anyone out there know if such a device is currently being
marketed???

Again, this is -> Roger Swann	uucp: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark

ted@ultra.UUCP (Ted Schroeder) (05/19/88)

Roger Swann writes in V8N82:
> My solution would be to hookup a speakerphone type device that would
> automatically answer the line after a few rings. Then anyone in the
> room could answer the phone by just speaking loadly after the line
> had been _picked up_. If no one happened to be there to catch the
> call, so what, no problem.

That's the way we use the phone in our lab right now.  We have something
called SRX (Shared Resource Exchange) phones (and probably a PBX to go
with it), that has a handsfree mode.  This allows anyone in the company
to treat the phone like an intercom.  It works great.  I use it all
the time in my office too.

The address on my instruction manual says:
Shared Resource Exchange
15926 Midway Rd
Dallas, TX 75244

      Ted Schroeder                   ultra!ted@Ames.arc.nasa.GOV
      Ultra Network Technologies
      2140 Bering drive               with a domain server:
      San Jose, CA 95131                 ted@Ultra.COM
      408-922-0100

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (05/24/88)

In article <775@shuksan.UUCP> evans@shuksan.UUCP (Roger Swann) writes:

>I had an idea for the phone used in a lab area:
>
>The situation is one where there are persons in the room, but no
>one is usually near the phone. So, when the phone rings someone
>has to walk over 20ft to get the call. And as a result, no one
>_wants_ to answer the phone. Callers that let the phone ring many,
>many times, are usually the only ones to get answered.
>
>My solution would be to hookup a speakerphone type device that would
>automatically answer the line after a few rings. Then anyone in the
>room could answer the phone by just speaking loadly after the line
>had been _picked up_. If no one happened to be there to catch the
>call, so what, no problem.
>
>Does anyone out there know if such a device is currently being
>marketed???

I have a friend who used to live in Switzerland; he tells me that he was fond
of such a feature in his father's office phones.  All telephones could act as
speakerphones.  The handset did not need to be lifted to answer a call;
any ringing telephone could be answered simply by speaking to it.

He tells me that it was common practice for officeworkers to yell
"He's not here!" at ringing phones to shut them up.

Sorry; he doesn't know the manufacturer (this was more than 10 years ago).

    Jeff Stearns			jeff@tc.fluke.COM
    John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.	(206) 356-5064
--
		 Jeff Stearns
	 Domain: jeff@tc.fluke.COM

wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) (05/26/88)

I'm somewhat confused by the subject discussion. Won't the normal sounds in
an office or lab (people talking, printers or other equipment running,
background Muzak, etc.) keep these voice-responding phones in a constant
off-hook condition, or at least often jumping off-hook for random periods
of time? Even if there is some sort of gain control to set a trigger level
or threshold below which the phone won't respond, won't that mean you'll
have to shout to answer it?

I can see it working in a normally-very-quiet environment, but not in any
real-life office or lab I've ever been in, during a normal work day. It
does sound ideal for use after hours, say where one person is in a large
area where there are many phones. They wouldn't have to run around to
find which phone is ringing. (But wouldn't the ringing of one phone put
all the others off-hook, due to the sound level? If any of the others
are on the same line, that would answer the incoming call! And then, if
no one was in the office to keep talking, it would then hang up
automatically. Hmmm... The next generation beyond the answering machine.
Call and be hung up on without human intervention... :-)

Will Martin