[comp.dcom.telecom] CCITT bis

chris@cos.COM (Chris Rohrer) (05/22/88)

Since the CCITT is a European organization and is headquartered in
the French speaking country Switzerland, French is used in many places
in the recommendation naming system.

Bis in French means 'second' or 'again'. So V.26bis is just a second
version of V.26.  There is another word you might see in this place too.
Ter means 'third' in this kind of usage. So V.26ter is a third version or
modification or alternate usage of V.26.

There are odd looking words like these for fourth, fifth etc. but I've
never seen them used by the CCITT for recommendation naming.

Chris Rohrer, COS

"Anything I say can not be construed to be the opinion of COS"

jackson@ttidca.TTI.COM (Dick Jackson) (05/26/88)

In article <8805212031.AA00810@cos.com> chris@cos.COM (Chris Rohrer) writes:
>Bis in French means 'second' or 'again'. So V.26bis is just a second
>version of V.26.  There is another word you might see in this place too.

I am adding the following information because it is obviously of critical
importance to one's telecom exptertize. "Bis" is actually the Latin for
twice. The French use the word (among other things) to shout for a repeat
of a song - just as we use the French word "encore".

Dick Jackson