[comp.dcom.telecom] European billing and privacy

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (06/01/88)

In article <8805271347.AA16475@swlabs.UUCP> jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) writes:
>Then I was told that [call billing] would never attain popularity.
>I was told that
>most of the world was very wary of having records kept of where and when
>calls were placed by them.  They felt that it would invade their privacy
>to have this record kept _anywhere_ and that this record could not be kept
>without the possibility of them falling into the wrong hands.

France Telecom has come up with an interesting compromise.  You get an
itemized bill, but they leave off the last four digits of each number
called.  That way you can tell generally where you called and whether
the amount charged is right, but not the identity of the party called.

By the way, I was surprised to see that you can buy a phone in a retail store
in France and take it home and plug it in, just like in the USA except that
the French modular plug can be piggybacked one on top of another, and is large
and sturdy enough to support ringing current of about 100 amps. Are there any
other countries that allow you to use your own terminal equipment?
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something