[comp.dcom.telecom] TT charges dropped.

evans@shuksan.UUCP (Gary Evans) (05/28/88)

NOTE: This is note Gary! This Roger Swann using Gary's system to post
      since my system (ssc-vax) has an 'inews' problem right now.
      Messages to me can be e-mailed to the address below.

In my latest bill from Pacific Northwest Bell (PNB), there was a note
explaining a change in the tariffs covering Touch Tone service for
all customers in Washington State. That being the removal of the 50
cent charge for Tone service. This reduction also includes the
special service packages, (serveral features bundled for one price).
The notice inferred that the tone feature would now be active by
default on all phone lines...(save those few where tone service is
not yet available).

The notice also inferred that it was the BOC that instigated the
change, but I wonder if it wasn't really the state Utilities
Commission that forced the new tariff?

I am also waiting for the other shoe to drop. Since this change will
mean a BIG drop in revenue for PNB, they will surely try to recoup
it in some other area...

What is the norm in the rest of the land?  Bell, GTE, others

Roger Swann	uucp: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark

lyourk@ihlpf.UUCP.UUCP (06/04/88)

]
]
] In my latest bill from Pacific Northwest Bell (PNB), there was a note
] explaining a change in the tariffs covering Touch Tone service for
] all customers in Washington State. That being the removal of the 50
] cent charge for Tone service. ......
]
] The notice also inferred that it was the BOC that instigated the
] change, but I wonder if it wasn't really the state Utilities
] Commission that forced the new tariff?

TT service costs the TELCOs less than pulse dialing.  The main
reason for this is the time to dial is less with TT and less
dialing times means less digit receivers meaning less cost.
Nearly all of the digit receivers purchased by the TELCOs the
past few years have the capability to receive both TT & pulse
digits; the TELCOs have to restrict a line from being able to
take advantage of TT.
(this applies to non electro-mechanical central offices).

How long it takes other TELCOs to do drop charges for TT remains
to be seen.

] Roger Swann	uucp: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark

Loran Yourk  ihnp4!ihlpf!lyourk

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (06/04/88)

In article <792@shuksan.UUCP>, evans@shuksan.UUCP (Gary Evans) writes:
> In my latest bill from Pacific Northwest Bell (PNB), there was a note
> explaining a change in the tariffs covering Touch Tone service for
> all customers in Washington State. That being the removal of the 50
> cent charge for Tone service.
> I am also waiting for the other shoe to drop. Since this change will
> mean a BIG drop in revenue for PNB, they will surely try to recoup
> it in some other area...

It may, in deed, mean a drop in revenue, but it may not mean a drop
in operating profit.  If everybody uses touchtone, the total
originating register occupancy drops drastically, from ~20 seconds
per call to ~6 seconds per call average.  If they can handle more
calls with the same equipment, or handle the current traffic load
with less equipment, they save.  Encouraging touchtone availability
also encourages the use of value-added services that require
end-to-end signalling, and these services generate revenue.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney