[comp.dcom.telecom] extra characters

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (08/01/88)

In article <465@vector.UUCP>, CABELL.ANDREWS@BIONET-20.ARPA (Paul Andrews) writes:

>            I have a question regarding the use of TELENET versus COMPUSERVE.
> When using TELENET, I always see two certain characters echoed back to me ,
> especially when I am typing fast.  These are ASCII characters 17 and 19 ( I
> can't reproduce them here, but you can look them up in an IBM extended
> character set)...

These characters are generally called X-ON and X-OFF or DC1 and DC3.
On most ASCII keyboards, they are represented by ^S and ^Q.  When
you receive the X-OFF character, the receiver is telling you to stop
sending.  It will send you the X-ON when it is again ready to
receive data.  Most systems allow you to pause their output by
sending them the X-OFF (^S) character, and to resume by sending them
the X-ON (^Q) character.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney