[comp.dcom.telecom] COCOTs at the Atlanta Airport

covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert) (07/26/88)

All public payphones at the Atlanta airport, the nation's busiest, have
been replaced with COCOTs.

These payphones route your call via NTI -- the only warning you have is
that you are told "Thank you" instead of "Thank you for using AT&T" when
you dial a call with your AT&T calling card.

800 numbers do not work, I'm told.

Apparently 10288-0 will get you to AT&T.

/john

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (08/03/88)

In article <485@vector.UUCP> covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert) writes:
>All public payphones at the Atlanta airport, the nation's busiest, have
>been replaced with COCOTs.
>
>These payphones route your call via NTI -- the only warning you have is
>that you are told "Thank you" instead of "Thank you for using AT&T" when
>you dial a call with your AT&T calling card.

I ran into the same gotcha.  I spent quite awhile hunting for a real
phone before settling for one of these things.  I dialed a calling
card call and got a message something like "Thank you for using NTI".
I hung up quickly, unwilling to use another inflated rate carrier.

>Apparently 10288-0 will get you to AT&T.

Yes, it will.  I had a problem at the time, since my local phone had
been temporarily disconnected (due to moving) and Ohio Bell doesn't
know how to temporarily disconnect anything, so they permanently
disconnected it and had me order new service later.  My AT&T calling
card also became unauthorized during the same interval.  The AT&T
people found the card number missing from their database, but it
appears that NTI would have been happy to place the call anyway.
The AT&T operator was good enough to "charge it to the base number"
anyway, even though he knew it was disconnected.  I'm not sure what
that means, I haven't seen a bill for it yet (and since I got my
"final bill" from Ohio Bell, I'm not sure if I will.)