[comp.dcom.telecom] a live ANI

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com (08/03/88)

Central Telephone of Illinois, at least in its Des Plaines and Park Ridge
districts in area code 312, gives ANI by dialing 290.  I came across it
by chance.  It seems that they don't feel that the function is anything
that needs to be hidden.

I've even tried it on COCOT's.  They required that I dial four dummy digits
after the 290, since they demanded seven digits before sending your dialing
on to the telco, but Centel ignored the extra four, gave me the number I
was dialing from (frequently not printed on the face of a COCOT), and dis-
connected.  The COCOT's returned my money.

lars@acc.arpa (08/06/88)

> From: David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com
> Subject: a live ANI (automatic number identification) code
> Date: Wed Aug  3 22:00:34 1988
>
> Central Telephone of Illinois, at least in its Des Plaines and Park Ridge
> districts in area code 312, gives ANI by dialing 290.

I tried this, from my GTE line (805) 682-xxxx (Santa Barbara, CA).

290 yields (ring, ring, redirect, recording:)
	"We're sorry ... cannot be completed".
1-312-290-1234 yields (redirect, recording:)
	"Your call cannot be completed ... 818-4T".
Since 290 does not require 7 digits before the rejection from the local switch,
it seems like this prefix gets special handling (or is that true of unassigned
prefixes in general ?
The long distance call get rejected in the LATA router. Wouldn't it be nifty
if it had gone thru ?.

/ Lars Poulsen