[comp.dcom.telecom] "A B C D" keys

ted@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Ede) (08/22/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0129m02@vector.UUCP> you write:

>in article <290@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, amossb@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (a.e.mossberg) says:
>)
>) In news item <telecom-v08i0127m01@vector.UUCP>, crew@polya.stanford.edu (Roger Crew) wrote:
>)>On the military and NORAD networks, you'll find (touch-tone) phones
>)>with up to four extra keys down the right hand side labeled (I think
>)>[ further description deleted]
>)>
>)>Roger Crew
>)
>) Your recollection matches mine, but there is one difference about
>) autovon... I think they used 8 different frequencies than the standard
>) DTMF....

  [frequency list deleted]

I recently set up a Hayes, 1200 baud, external SmartModem on a PC.
While reviewing the quick reference card, I noticed the available
"digits" for dialing.  They are 0-9,*,#,A,B,C,D.  I tried dialing them
and they worked fine.  I got a "can't complete your number as dialed"
message.

I think in the good ol' days of in-band signalling, they were used by
directory assistance operators to signal the switch that their line
was available for incoming assistance requests.

Ted Ede -- ted@mitre-bedford.arpa -- The MITRE Corporation -- Burlington Road
| linus!mbunix!ted -- Bedford MA, 01730 -- Mail Stop B015 -- (617) 271-2524 |
|                   - this line intentionally left blank -                  |