[comp.dcom.telecom] STAR SERVICES

ski%COMPUTING-MATHS.CARDIFF.AC.UK@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (S I Khokhar) (08/23/88)

Here in the Uk  where we have to suffer from British Telecon (sorry Telecom!)
we can put a call on hold, set up call forwarding, barring etc.  I would be
very interested to hear of the equivalents in the US and how they are used.

Do you get them a a standard feature, or do you have to pay for each one that
you have, just as we will have to pay `4.00 for EACH service we want, together
with 10p for an automated alarm call, and 5p to be told how much the last call w
We still have to pay for ALL local calls.  I understand that in the US local
calls made by a residential (non-business) line , at off peak times are free
of charge.  Is this right?  Would any kind person be willing to tell me how much
line rental in the US is on average.  here it is `13.95 per quarter with
metered units costing 5p each.  They last for a varying length of time depending
on the distance of the call and the time of day.

Any help appreciated.

ski@uk.ac.cf.cm.v1  OR  ski@v1.cm.cf.ac.uk   OR  ski@cf-cm.UUCP.

scott@eddie.MIT.EDU (Scott Statton) (08/25/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0131m07@vector.UUCP> ski%COMPUTING-MATHS.CARDIFF.AC.UK@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (S I Khokhar) writes:

>Do you get them a a standard feature, or do you have to pay for each one that
>you have, just as we will have to pay `4.00 for EACH service we want, together
>with 10p for an automated alarm call, and 5p to be told how much the last call w
>We still have to pay for ALL local calls.  I understand that in the US local
>calls made by a residential (non-business) line , at off peak times are free
>of charge.  Is this right?  Would any kind person be willing to tell me how much
>line rental in the US is on average.  here it is `13.95 per quarter with
>metered units costing 5p each.  They last for a varying length of time depending
>on the distance of the call and the time of day.

Well, my south-of-the-Equator friend, you make the assumption that there is
a standardised telephone system within the United States.  Special
services, (Call forwding, etc.) are available on a
location-by-location basis, with several 'basic' services that are
almost universally available.

As to free local calling areas, this varies from state to state, and
even city-to-city.  Some states have free local calling for residence
AND business customers (California -- depending on the city) and some
states don't have ANY free local calling (New York).

Each state has a governing body, with a name like "Department of
Public Utilites" or "Public Utilities Comission" that is a 'watchdog'
for the industry.  Any service that the telephone company wishes to
carry, must be approved by this authority.  Because of red tape,
services that CAN be offered, are generally several years behind
services that are technically feasable.

For readers in the United States (and Canada, I believe) you live with
something that we would find unthinkable -- you pay message units for
INCOMING calls as well as outgoing.  (At least in Britain, that is
so).

So -- in summary -- there is no "What's it like in the United States"
or even within any one state.

--
scott@eddie.mit.edu                | I don't have any opinions.