[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering the phone

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/21/88)

I'm writing an answer-the-phone routine for my current project.  The
modem will be hayes compatable but I have to be able to handle various
almost-hayes compatable modems.

When answering the phone, I wait for "CONNECT" or "CONNECT 1200" but
when should I expect the CD to come on?  (where in the "CONNECT"
message... beginning, end, etc)  Is it different for various modems?

Any other tips for generic answer-the-phone routines?

Tom Limoncelli
--
       Tom Limoncelli -- Drew University, Box 1060, Madison, NJ 07940
  TLimonce@Drew.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net -- VoiceMail (201)408-5389

james@astro.as.utexas.edu (James Van Artsdalen) (08/27/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0131m03@vector.UUCP>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) wrote:

> When answering the phone, I wait for "CONNECT" or "CONNECT 1200" but
> when should I expect the CD to come on?  (where in the "CONNECT"
> message... beginning, end, etc)  Is it different for various modems?

Yes it varies.

The better modems appear to follow this sequence.  The CONNECT message
is printed, possibly indicating the modem-to-modem data rate.  Carrier
Detect is *then* asserted, and the modem then switches its data rate
between then local machine and the modem if appropriate.  I have
however observed an older US Robotics Password to assert carrier
detect *before* printing the CONNECT message.

I'm not sure how standardized the behavior is after hangup.  My Trailblazer
is configured to switch back to 9600bps, though I don't believe it normally
does so.  I believe most stay at the last connected rate.

The last common gotcha is that some modems will fail to fall "up" on answer.
If there last call was at 1200bps, the modem will not answer at 2400bps but
only 1200bps...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746