[comp.dcom.telecom] CCITT facsimile standards

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/27/88)

>From: robert@eva.slu.se (Robert Olsson datoravd, EMC tfn 018-172581)
>Subject: image compressing in facsimile machines - algorithm wanted

>Has anybody made an implementation of the codes in the CCITT T.4 telefax
>recommendation. I think it's called modified Huffman code and is used to
>compress scanned images in facsimile machines. I've stared at codes for
>some time now and may be capable of encoding from run lengths to Huffman
>codes - but decoding Huffman codes into run lengths ? To do that I would
>definitely need the algorithm. Where can I find it ? Or code?

	yes.  the coding scheme is as you describe.  the code that
	i wrote for this is in one of the PC-Fax hardware/software products
	available today.  it's not mine to give away, but i could
	probably give you yet more free advice, Robert, if you can get
	mail to me.  the algorithm itself isn't that complex -- optimizing
	it is a different story.

	regarding the algorithm: the principle of Huffman coding allows
	you to determine the value of a bit string of any length --
	not a single one of the code strings is the same as the prefix
	to any of the longer code strings.

	another factor:  be sure to re-re-check the piles of Huffman and
	run length codes after you type them in.  a single typo will
	result in nasty bugs.

	by the way, there should be an addendum to the CCITT fax spec
	soon, which will standardize gray-scale fax images as well.