[comp.dcom.telecom] image compressing in facsimile machines - algorithm wanted

robert@eva.slu.se (Robert Olsson datoravd, EMC tfn 018-172581) (08/27/88)

Has anybody made an implementation of the codes in the CCITT T.4 telefax
recommendation. I think it's called modified Huffman code and is used to
compress scanned images in facsimile machines. I've stared at codes for
some time now and may be capable of encoding from run lengths to Huffman
codes - but decoding Huffman codes into run lengths ? To do that I would
definitely need the algorithm. Where can I find it ? Or code?

				Robert Olsson
		Swedish university of agricultural sciences

robert@eva.slu.se (Robert Olsson datoravd, EMC tfn 018-172581) (08/27/88)

[ This message was cross-posted to comp.lang.c and comp.dcom.modems.	]
[ I am placing it only in comp.dcom.telecom.			-chip	]

efb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Everett F. Batey II) (08/28/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0134m07@vector.UUCP> robert@eva.slu.se (Robert Olsson datoravd, EMC tfn 018-172581) writes:

>Has anybody made an implementation of the codes in the CCITT T.4 telefax

There are many ( software and hardware ).  Unicon ( suned1!unicon!psc@elroy.JPL
.NASA.Gov did ours.  I STRONGLY urge you invest in the CCITT Red Book, in
english from some outfit in Vienna, VA, USA.  Or find your government rep to
the CCITT for local availability.

There are many qualities of implementations of Gp IV, 6X to 40X or better
of compression and seconds to minutes to do the lookups.  It appears the
standard may be partly implemented ( like Gp III ) or VERY FULLY, MUCH better
but slower.

This is a LOT of work to implement.
--
 suned1!efb@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov   sun!tsunami!suned1!efb   efbatey@NSWSES.ARPA
    Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not those of the