[comp.dcom.telecom] Israeli Phone system

smb@research.att.com (08/24/88)

Are American cordless phones usable with the Israeli phone system?
A relative of my wife's wishes to bring back such a phone to Israel
with her.  I know that there is an AC line voltage difference.
But (a) are the phone systems compatible?  (b) if so, is DTMF signalling
accepted by the Israeli phone system?  (c) is it legal to install
customer-owned equipment in Israel; (d) what are the applicable laws
and regulations about use of those frequency bands?

Since she's leaving soon, a prompt answer would be appreciated.

		--Steve Bellovin

cramer@Sun.COM (08/26/88)

> Are American cordless phones usable with the Israeli phone system?
> A relative of my wife's wishes to bring back such a phone to Israel
> with her.  I know that there is an AC line voltage difference.
> But (a) are the phone systems compatible?

Yes.

> (b) if so, is DTMF signalling accepted by the Israeli phone system?

I don't believe so.  Some of the switches are quite old.

> (c) is it legal to install customer-owned equipment in Israel;

I don't know.  Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.

dave@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Horsfall) (08/29/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0132m02@vector.UUCP> smb@research.att.com writes:
| Are American cordless phones usable with the Israeli phone system?

In Australia at least, cordless phones are prohibited imports.  That's not
to say we don't have them here, but imports are likely to (and do!) use
frequencies assigned to other services - emergency, bush fire etc etc.

Since there is no standard for cordless phone freqs, I would guess this would
apply to the rest of the world as well.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU), Alcatel-STC Australia, dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.OZ.AU@uunet.UU.NET, ...munnari!stcns3.stc.OZ.AU!dave