[comp.dcom.telecom] Call Completion & Billing

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (08/31/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0136m01@vector.UUCP>, werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> PS: does anyone know if we are still getting charged for a call by the
> 	non-ATT LD-companies if the phone rings more than a certain
> 	times (6?!) - I see too many 1-minute calls on my bill not to
> 	wonder ...
> 	- maybe ATT "improved" their service and started
> 	doing the same now...  (just being sarcastic here)

AT&T is the only carrier which always waits 5 seconds beyond the ACTUAL
answering of the telphone on the other end before starting billing.

In many cases both MCI and Sprint ASSUME the call is complete after a fixed
period of time even though the other end might not have answered.

Most of the remaining telcos also have circuits without complete call-detection
equipment.  In general though, if both ends of the LD circuit end in local
CBXs that have been converted over to "equal-access" actual call detection
equipment is probably being used.

This is one reason I find it cheaper to use AT&T than MCI or Sprint.
Another is that MCI and Sprint are at best 1 cent per minute cheaper on
my typical LD calls -- it pays to comparison shop using your own
"typical mix" of calls.  Oh and AT&T bills correctly the first time and
will give immediate "no-hassle" credit on wrong numbers.

** I am not affiliated with any telco or LD carrier **
         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)

amossb@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (A. Mossberg) (09/02/88)

In <telecom-v08i0137m03@vector.UUCP>, <rja@edison.GE.COM> wrote:
>[...]
>"typical mix" of calls.  Oh and AT&T bills correctly the first time and
>will give immediate "no-hassle" credit on wrong numbers.

Well, that should be "tends to bill correctly".  I've had plenty of
errors, but far fewer than other LD carriers..

aem
--
a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
This is no time to be fighting each other; What we need, what we