[comp.dcom.telecom] Protocols

bobf@GARP.MIT.EDU (09/15/88)

There seem to be two major sources of billing problems.  One is that each
participant in placing a call wants to make money off the call.  The other is
that there is no billing protocol other than looking up data in one's own tables
and guessing how much to charge based on the number called.

Does anyone know if there are billing protocols in ISDN that would allow an
intelligent instrument and/or a service provider know the cost of a call as it
is being placed?

Full name: Bob Frankston

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (09/25/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0143m03@vector.UUCP> lotus!bobf@GARP.MIT.EDU writes:
>Does anyone know if there are billing protocols in ISDN that would allow an
>intelligent instrument and/or a service provider know the cost of a call as it
>is being placed?

I assume the question being asked is "would the D-channel support
automatic call cost information?"

Not really.  The types of messages which go through the D-channel are
more along the lines of call service requests (i.e. setup, connect,
disconnect, release) and acknowledgements.  (There are some neat extensions,
though.)  It is not well suited for this sort of thing.

However, there is nothing which prevents your local carrier from providing
you such a service.  You would need some intelligence built into your
telephone so that it would go out and inquire the carrier's database for
billing information, and then proceed to connect the call.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP | I've been a wizard since my childhood.
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-0486 | And I've earned some respect for my art.