[comp.dcom.telecom] Local Telco refuses to allow use of AT&T card?

covert%covert.DEC@decwrl.dec.com (John R. Covert) (09/27/88)

Everett Batey claims that his local telco is not permitting use of AT&T cards
from his residence:

>From: elroy!suned1!efb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Everett F. Batey II)
>Date: 15 Sep 88 09:44:59 GMT

>Are there any public administrative remedies for one little local phone
>company refusing to let me use my AT&T calling card from a residence phone?

How are they refusing this?  If Sprint has made themselves your default
carrier, all you have to do is dial 10288-0+NPA-NXX-XXXX to use your AT&T
card.

Everett further writes:

>It wasn't so long ago Sprint offered my family their card *for use while away
>from home*... then took the liberty of redefining themselves as our EXCLUSIVE
>toll service provider.  NOW, I find it is not possible to use others phones
>to place calls with my preferred carrier.

It's not clear from the above what your problem is.  What Sprint has done
in telling your telco that they are primary carrier on your own line has
nothing to do with what happens when you make calls from other phones.

The situation is as follows:

Each phone has a default carrier.

Whenever placing any call, you may modify the default by using the desired
carrier's access code.  Access codes are 10XXX-1+ for 1+ calls and 10XXX-0+ for
a few carrier's charge-to-other-account services, although most except AT&T have
a special number to dial.

>I would appreciate suggestions as to any known administrative remedies ... I am
>frankly shocked by their conduct.

Shocked by whose conduct?  Sprint or your local Telco?  If the problem is that
you never wanted Sprint to be your primary (1+) carrier, you can have your Telco
undo it if you tell them Sprint changed you from your previous default to Sprint
without permission.

/john