[comp.dcom.telecom] Detecting a remote call-waiting interrupt.

hayes@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jim Hayes) (10/09/88)

dekleer.pa@Xerox.COM writes in article <telecom-v08i0154m07@vector.UUCP>:

>All this talk about call waiting makes me ask my question.  Call waiting
>is fine on outgoing calls, I like it.  However, it's worse than useless
>on incoming calls because a non-answer makes the caller think I'm not
>even home.

Where I lived in Los Angeles and San Diego I could always tell when
I was generating a call-waiting beep on the dialed party's line. (For
local calls only.)

The ring that "generated" the distant call waiting beep would be much
longer than the rest.  Typically, the first ring would be long, three
normal rings, then another long one.

I liked that feature because I could at least "apologize" to the called
party for interrupting their conversation and ask them if I could call
back later.

The Dimension 2000 and Merlin 85 phone systems at AMD generate a "beep"
before the first ring indicating that the called party is currently engaged
and has been notified of my presence.   Why don't normal Telco's adopt this?

[The software modification is trivial...]

-Jim Hayes                         Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Sunnyvale CA.
                                   hayes@amdcad.amd.com
/earth: file system full           {ucbvax|sun|decwrl}!amdcad!hayes
                                   These are not opinions of AMD.