[comp.dcom.telecom] jack wiring info wanted

smb@research.att.com (10/07/88)

I'm interested in the wiring of the 50-pin jack for for 5-line keyset
telephones (2565HKM, if it matters).  So far, I've learned  that
there are 3 pairs allocated to each line, with 1 pair being tip and
ring, and the third pair being A and A1.  I'm especially interested
in pins that are activated by the hold button, especially per-line
hold signals.

		--Steve Bellovin
		smb@ulysses.att.com
		{att,ucbvax}!ulysses!smb

dave@rutgers.edu (Dave Levenson) (10/10/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0154m08@vector.UUCP>, smb@research.att.com writes:
> I'm interested in the wiring of the 50-pin jack for for 5-line keyset
> telephones (2565HKM, if it matters).  So far, I've learned  that
> there are 3 pairs allocated to each line, with 1 pair being tip and
> ring, and the third pair being A and A1.  I'm especially interested
> in pins that are activated by the hold button, especially per-line
> hold signals.

The first pair is tip and ring.  The second is A and A1.  The third
is L and LG -- they light the line lamp.  The hold command is sent
by the phone to the KTU using the A and A1 pair.  This pair is
normally open.  It is closed when the handset is offhook and the
line button is selected.  If you hang up (by placing the handset
onhook or by releasing the line button by selecting another line)
the tip and ring circuit opens before the A and A1 circuit.  If you
push the HOLD button, the A and A1 circuit opens before the Tip and
Ring circuit.  The KTU senses this timing and decides what the lamp
state should be, and what to do about the hold relays.

After using 3 pair per line (on the 2565 set) there is a pair for
the ringer (common audible or CA pair) a pair for the buzzer (CA-1),
several pair used for on-hook dialing when the set is associated
with a type 3 or 4A speakerphone, a pair for the lamp under the HOLD
key (seldom used), three pair for the exclusion key (the optional
pull-up plunger that replaces one of the switchhook buttons) and a
couple of pair for "locally engineered circuits".

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

brian@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (10/12/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0154m08@vector.UUCP> smb@research.att.com writes:

>I'm interested in the wiring of the 50-pin jack for for 5-line keyset
>telephones (2565HKM, if it matters).  So far, I've learned  that
>there are 3 pairs allocated to each line, with 1 pair being tip and
>ring, and the third pair being A and A1.  I'm especially interested
>in pins that are activated by the hold button, especially per-line
>hold signals.
>
>		--Steve Bellovin
>		smb@ulysses.att.com
>		{att,ucbvax}!ulysses!smb

Actually, in a 1A2 key system (that's what those five button phones are used
for) the hold button works a little differently.

When a phone is off hook, the KSU module detects loop current and the A1 lead
activated by the button.  So long as A1 is present with the loop current the
line is considered to be active.  However, if there is loop current but no
A1 the line is placed on hold until A1 is present again or the loop current is
dropped by the CO (usually indicating the the distant caller hung up).

Thus, the hold button actually interrupts the A1 lead just prior to releasing
the line key on the phone.  This presents the condition described above and
thus places the call on hold.  This is also why answering machines and modems
without A1 leads will leave a 1A2 system line on hold.  Terminating a call
normally requires that loop current be dropped along with A1.

Cheers,
brian