[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI "Around town"

lars@ACC-SB-UNIX.ARPA (Lars J Poulsen) (10/01/88)

> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 88 18:15:30 EDT
> From: mgrant@cos.com (Michael Grant)
> Subject: MCI Calling Cards restriction
>
> MCI calling cards have an "around town" feature which you do not get
> charged a $0.55 surcharge per call if you use the calling card within
> a local call to your home phone.  I just learned that this is only
> offered on a few exchanges.  So, if you are using this feature, be
> careful that your card is on one of these magic exchanges!

Your MCI card call is considered to be "around town" if it enters the
MCI network at the same gateway as calls from home. In some metropolitan
areas, where there are many MCI gateways, this aea may be quite small.
In other areas, it may be an entire LATA.

I think this is one of the best reasons to get an MCI card.
My wife and I got an MCI card in order to cut down on our long distance
costs. Her mother is out-of-town but in-state. My parents are overseas
in a country to which MCI has service. Mostly, MCI saves us 10%. But the
"around-town" feature lets us call our respective parents from work
without charging the call to the company and without incurring an
"operator-assist surcharge". We like that a lot.

We have had none of the billing problems that so many Sprint customers
have reported, and the circuits are okay. What more can I say ?

/ Lars Poulsen
  Advanced Computer Communications

bill@vax1.acs.udel.edu (William Tsai) (10/14/88)

Does MCI charge EVERYBODY surcharge for calling cards??  One of my
friends get one thru the university (therefore is like a business
account) and did not ever get charged $.50 or $.55 surcharge.
What's going on??

				-< Bill >=-

--
       Bill Tsai