[comp.dcom.telecom] comp.dcom.telecom posting

skr@bellcore.bellcore.com (10/15/88)

Mr. Moderator:
I'm having trouble with this posting; our vnews doesn't seem to
know what to do with it, so I'm mailing it directly.  Hope this
isn't a difficulty.

{{{ Actually "vnews" doesn't know anything about this ... it just hands	}}}
{{{ your message (eventually) to "inews" for posting.  Please check	}}}
{{{ with your system administrator to ensure that (1) your news version	}}}
{{{ is relatively modern, and (2) your /usr/lib/news/mailpaths file is	}}}
{{{ setup correctly.  Please contact me at "vector!telecom-request" if	}}}
{{{ you need help getting things setup for comp.dcom.telecom.	-chip	}}}

In article <telecom-v08i0150m11@vector.UUCP>, jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
> In article <telecom-v08i0148m08@vector.UUCP>, mgrant@cos.com (Michael Grant) writes:
> > A long while ago someone posted a question about how to build a simple
> > circuit which would light a LED (or a simple lamp) when an extension
> > was lifted elsewhere in the house.  The requirements are:
>
> >   - The LED lights when another extension is lifted, showing that it
> >     is in use.
> >   - The LED must be powered off the phone line.
> >   - No extra wires must be run to the telephone.
> >   - The circuit should be reasonable small so that it can fit inside a
> >     desktop style phone.

When I was in college a friend & I built a circuit to do just
this --- as I recall, it used a Zener diode (9V I believe) which
shorted the LED at the higher voltage when the phone was
on-hook, but stopped conducting at off-hook voltage, causing
current to go through the LED.  Just put the Zener in series
with the LED and a resistor, and insert that in series on
the line (not sure if tip or ring, or if it makes any
difference).  If that doesn't make sense, I have the schematic at home;
if anyone really wants it I could attempt to post it (could be
a challenge).

I must admit that it was my friend that thought up the
circuit (Chuck, are you out there?).

Steve Reinhardt

Bell Communications Research
Red Bank, NJ