[comp.dcom.telecom] FRG phone numbers

rnv@motsj1.UUCP (Ron Voss) (10/12/88)

In article <telecom-v08i0150m09@vector.UUCP>, c3pe!wb8foz@decuac.dec.com
(David Lesher) writes:
> While in Frankfurt last week I noted that phone numbers varied in
> length from 4 to 10 digits, maybe more. The longer ones seemed
> to be DID into PBXs.
> How does the CO know when it has all the digits?  Does it time
> out, or do prefixes carry implicit lengths?

Prefixes carry implicit lengths, mostly, although numbers can be
"data sensitive".  However, there are no prefixes as we know them,
althought they technically exist.   The "Post" doesn't advertise
prefixes, and doesn't list or give out numbers in that way.
For example, a phone number may be written 12 34 56 or 123 456
(Germany generally uses " " instead of "-" as a delimiter),
whatever seems to be easier to remember, or however a particular
person has always done it.  Technically, all numbers beginning
with the "hidden" prefix (in my example, you can't tell what it is:
1? 12? 123?) will be six digits long.

I've seen phone numbers within an area code of four to eight digits.  Area
codes are two to four digits long.  Generally, the shorter your phone
number, the smaller your town, and, the shorter your area code, the
larger your town.  They don't use the British trick of having the
target area code dependent on the caller's location.

Large companies are often given a "prefix" of usually four digits.
Then they do what they want, like 1234 0 for the switchboard
and 1234 5678 for extensions, where internally the extension is
5678, just like here.

The net will, as always, I hope, correct any factual errors.

--
Ron Voss, Motorola Microcomputer Div
hplabs!motsj1!rnv      CIS 73647,752

peter@hpqtdla.HP.COM (Peter Locke) (10/19/88)

>How does the CO know when it has all the digits?  Does it time
>out, or do prefixes carry implicit lengths?

Neither, really, for most of the European networks.

The old mechanical networks operated step-by-step signalling. This means
that as you dial, different exchanges in the network interpret the
digits you are dialling to determine the route, they connect you through to
the next exchange and ignores the dialling. The next exchange now
continues this interpretation until the end exchange rings the phone
and - usually - any further dialled digits are lost. In the UK, for
PBX direct extension dialling, the PTT fits a 'balck-box' in the end
exchange which 'stores' further digits and then passes them on when
the PBX connects - I don't know how they tell how many digits are
needed.

For the new CCITT SS#7 networks, as found in most European countries to
some degree ( and all of Germany ), a call can be either step-by-step
or block. We are used to step-by-step and it's benefits to us as users (
the network can give busy or bad number indications immediately, it doesn't
wait till the whole number is dialled in ) and the CCITT#7 protocol has a
Subsequent-Address-Message defined to ease implementation. ANSI does
*not* have the SAM, so I guess either you're 'stuck' with block.

So, in summary, we do not need time-outs to know if the user has entered
all the digits. Effectively, the network 'finds out' by trying it. And
no they do not need to be fixed length for the same reason.

Now, when our national PTTs have *serious* competition, I think this will
all change as the astute might have realized that step-by-step ties up
equipment for longer than block. With equal access, the trunk providers
will not be happy with step-by-step. I'm holding my breath !