[comp.dcom.telecom] Tv coverage of Sysop/user meeting

judy@moray.UUCP (Judy Scheltema) (11/01/88)

>From uucp Thu Oct 27 20:40 CST 1988
>From dillo1!ehopper  Thu Oct 27 20:40:15 1988 remote from hounix
To: hounix!moray!judy hounix!moray!nuchat!root ssbn!bill ssbn!petro!bruce
Subject: KTRK News story

Here is the transcript of the news story on KTRK-TV regarding our
meeting today:

KTRK-TV News 6:00 PM 10/27/88

Reporter Tom Koche:

"You might say there's been a showdown averted at the computer
corral tonight. Southwestern Bell had planned to charge business
rates to operators of computer bulletin boards in the Houston area.
But computer buffs raised such an outcry that Bell decided not to
raise it's rates at this time.

"But the computer enthusiasts want Bell's assurance that rates won't
be raised in the future because they consider bulletin boards hobbys
instead of businesses."

Reginald Hirsch (COSUARD President):
"Our gameplan is to meet with Southwestern Bell officials, at their
request, including some of their top management tommorrow -Friday-
and there to see if we can reach some form of agreement. If we can't
we are prepared to do whatever is necessary."

Koche:

"Bell says it believes some bulletin boards should be charged
business rates, it just hasn't identified yet which ones."

NOTE:

While the story implies that all is settled, the rollback of rates
by Southwestern Bell is temporary. Some signals from them indicate
that they still hold the view that ALL bulletin boards should pay
business rates.

Ed Hopper

--
Judy Scheltema                |                     uunet!nuchat!moray!judy
Houston, Texas                |                 bellcore!texbell!moray!judy